Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
"I want everything from you from the morning crossword puzzles to the mouth gag and whip".
It's one of the countless instances of this game setting up something interesting and then losing any interest in actually pursuing it. Sub-Haley was a fascinating character. The MC wasn't interested. So...pursue that! But no, the thread just dies on the vine. Endgame Haley isn't getting the mouth gag or the whip, she's just getting contractions.

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
How, on the solo Haley route, have they solidified their situation? How have they eased the fears of their employers? How have they satisfied society? How have they mollified their parents? How can they have a child without inviting questions they're unwilling to answer?
You are correct that those are the challenges to be solved. That could be a good plot how to overcome all those obstacles. For example, they could emigrate to a country which is more relaxed on all those things, like it was done in Sisterly Lust by Perveteer,

Yes, but in the milieu they've created for themselves, they can't actually be together.
I believe they could find a solution. IRL people have all kinds of challenges and they deal with them (or not, if they are weak).

And when does he give her the latter, once she asks? Nearly never. Yet another dropped storyline.
It is mostly a figure of speech. Quite romantic, if you ask me, though some people can have different opinions ;)

For me Haley's Story is the story of the modern Romeo and Juliette. The whole world is against their love but it doesn't mean that it has to have a bad ending.

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
Sure. So GIVE US ONE. You can close your eyes and imagine solutions. So could anyone creative. The game never bothered, it just stopped.
That doesn't mean that OP's opinion is invalid. And I agree with OP.

The Haley path is the canon IMHO, just because the developers half-assed the "ending" (it remains unfinished) without giving us proper answers doesn't mean that their story doesn't end happily ever after... the writers simply never bothered to come up with one themselves.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
How, on the solo Haley route, have they solidified their situation? How have they eased the fears of their employers? How have they satisfied society? How have they mollified their parents? How can they have a child without inviting questions they're unwilling to answer?
I have not played the Haley solo route, but your questions are easy enough to answer.

A beard is not the only solution to having an incestuous relationship. It might be a convenient one but not the only one.

Reactions: Beduin123

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I gave you one. From Sisterly Lust game. Have you read my comment at all?
Inventing a nonexistent paradise for unconvential relationships? Yes, both Sisterly Lust and Dating My Daughter did this to finish off their storylines, because it's the easiest possible way out. The bonus is that you don't have to deal with the actual consequences of an incestuous relationship. The drawback is that it's transparent BS. "And today, King Charles declared the United Kingdom an incest-welcoming realm, which was quickly endorsed by Parliament and the Prime Minister" is an ending, but it's not a thoughtful or interesting one.

MC+Haley, whether or not there's someone else involved, should be difficult. Adriana properly struggles with it. Sandra never blinks much of a perfectly clipped eye. But the people who really matter — Haley & the MC's parents — are dismissed on all routes, because that's difficult writing and the devs might have to work for a living.

Yes, why not? We are playing pron games here, not trying to find solution for the global economy crisis :ROFLMAO:
Such a cop-out. Do you always roll over this easily? Haley's Story was great specifically because of the realism of its core relationship, in opposition to a zillion incest games in which what happens while sleep-raping your sisters/mother/aunt until they succumb in real life somehow never extends beyond the walls of your house.

I never had any hopes for those stories, because they made it clear they weren't going to try. Haley's Story made it absolutely clear it was going to try, and then...didn't. That's my objection. And I don't think I'm alone.

A beard is not the only solution to having an incestuous relationship. It might be a convenient one but not the only one.
It's absolutely not, though it's the easiest one. The more obvious one — and if there's an incest game that has tried this, please let me know — is the name change/move solution. But then they have to at least come out to their parents first. It doesn't seem that this was ever considered as an option, no matter how clear it is that dad's figured it out.

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
TL : DR (too many letters)

I never had any hopes for those stories
I'm just wondering, if you are so keen on realism, what are you doing on this site?
You need an absolutely realistic dating sim? Well, I have a bad news for you. 99.9% of games on this site aren't realistic :cool:
Moreover, I've had lots of realistic dating in my life, with mostly pleasant experience.
Can I have something unrealistic for a change? :ROFLMAO:

Do you always roll over this easily?
Why do you even believe that I'm interested in a pissing competition with you or care for your opinion about myself?
That puzzles me :unsure:

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I'm just wondering, if you are so keen on realism, what are you doing on this site?
I'm actually quite keen on games that openly attempt realism, which the first half of Haley's Story did. It's why it was, at the time, one of my favorite VNs. It didn't work out that way, which is why my disappointment in this particular game is keener than it would have been if the story's ambitions had been more unrealistic.

I don't have particularly high expectations for most games, because most games are infantile. Doesn't mean they're not enjoyable, but I consume them as pure fantasy. HS began as something different. I wish it had finished that way.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
The more obvious one — and if there's an incest game that has tried this, please let me know — is the name change/move solution. But then they have to at least come out to their parents first. It doesn't seem that this was ever considered as an option, no matter how clear it is that dad's figured it out.
Didn't DmD actually do that? I don't really think that the place they moved to was "incest paradise", but that the paperwork was easy over there. IIRC, one of the guys who help Mr. Dots with the writing is actually a lawyer. And DmD did quite extensively go into the legal details.

If MC and Haley took this route, I'm also not sure if they need to come out to the parents. Although it would probably be the right thing to do. But if MC and Haley did move to another country where they don't ask too many questions, or demand too much paperwork, if they want to marry, perhaps the name change wouldn't even be necessary, and they could simply tell their parents a bullshit story about a coincidencal job opportunity, and that it's nice for them to stay together in a foreign country.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Didn't DmD actually do that? I don't really think that the place they moved to was "incest paradise", but that the paperwork was easy over there. IIRC, one of the guys who help Mr. Dots with the writing is actually a lawyer. And DmD did quite extensively go into the legal details.
I don't think so; they went to Magic Incest Island to get married, which the game made into a much bigger deal that it needed to, but after that they moved back to wherever it was they'd been staying. Or, at least, that's my recollection; I admit that I kinda checked out of that game long before I actually finished it.

Reactions: NewSeal

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
don't have particularly high expectations for most games, because most games are infantile.
On this I agree with you. But it is rather due to poor writing skills of the Devs, rather than being "unrealistic". You can write an exciting unrealistic story (i.e. science fiction or high fantasy) which will be applauded by even the most demanding readers.
Most of the games here are different in the writing quality though. For a good story I'd advise to seek somewhere else ;) In a library, for example.

Back to Haley's Story, in the modern Western big city you can have any kind of secret life, nobody cares. One doesn't even have to register a marriage or have a father for their child. No beard is needed. People just don't care and the authorities mostly neither.

I don't think so; they went to Magic Incest Island to get married
Wasn't that Sisterly Lust? I didn't play DmD, still stuck on Melody, the Dev's style is good but rather tedious.

Reactions: NewSeal

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Wasn't that Sisterly Lust? I didn't play DmD, still stuck on Melody, the Dev's style is good but rather tedious.
Again, hazy memory, but I think you're right: Sisterly Lust ends with the family decamping to some magical land where anything goes, and others join them depending on what/who you did during the main portion of the game.

Melody's pretty decent, overall, but DMD ended up being a real slog, and I haven't even bothered with Sunshine Love.

Getting back to this game: one of the reasons I was willing to wait and see regarding the Klaus revelation is that it suggested an intent to take serious things seriously. Of course, that didn't happen either; aside from Haley's therapy, everything else was resolved offscreen, and poor Other Haley just ceased to exist. In that context, not bothering to write a reasonable twins-only ending was somewhat predictable. Though it probably shouldn't have been a surprise, since Ptolemy only wrote a siblings-only ending to Dreaming of Dana because fans complained, and it was just as messy as this one.

Reactions: NewSeal and Quetzzz

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
Again, hazy memory, but I think you're right: Sisterly Lust ends with the family decamping to some magical land where anything goes, and others join them depending on what/who you did during the main portion of the game.

Melody's pretty decent, overall, but DMD ended up being a real slog, and I haven't even bothered with Sunshine Love.

Getting back to this game: one of the reasons I was willing to wait and see regarding the Klaus revelation is that it suggested an intent to take serious things seriously. Of course, that didn't happen either; aside from Haley's therapy, everything else was resolved offscreen, and poor Other Haley just ceased to exist. In that context, not bothering to write a reasonable twins-only ending was somewhat predictable. Though it probably shouldn't have been a surprise, since Ptolemy only wrote a siblings-only ending to Dreaming of Dana because fans complained, and it was just as messy as this one.
There were lots of words said about the rushed ending of this game, including in this thread. You may add a lot more or cry as much as you want, it doesn't change anything.
And that still doesn't prove your argument that the MC-Haley siblings only route is impossible, even in real-life situation. The fact that the Devs didn't bother to finish the game properly doesn't mean that it was impossible in principle.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
There were lots of words said about the rushed ending of this game, including in this thread. You may add a lot more or cry as much as you want, it doesn't change anything.
Heaven forfend we should discuss a game in a game discussion thread!

And that still doesn't prove your argument that the MC-Haley siblings only route is impossible, even in real-life situation. The fact that the Devs didn't bother to finish the game properly doesn't mean that it was impossible in principle.
i never said that. In fact, I said the exact opposite, and more than once.

Beduin123

Mar 29, 2023
i never said that. In fact, I said the exact opposite, and more than once.
In this case I misunderstood you. I thought that you were arguing against the solo Haley ending because you didn't formulate your arguments clear enough.
If you argue that the Haley's solo line haven't been properly developed, why do you bother at all? It was said countless number of times and if you repeat it again it doesn't change anything. I agree, that the game wasn't concluded properly, but if it were, the siblings-only ending seems to me the most canonical based on the early dynamics of the characters in the game.
That being cleared, I do not see any reason to further waste the time and continue discussing this particular issue.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
In this case I misunderstood you. I thought that you were arguing against the solo Haley ending because you didn't formulate your arguments clear enough.
I'm "arguing against" it because it's not good, not because it couldn't have been. I was very clear about that on multiple occasions.

If you argue that this haven't been properly concluded, why do you bother at all?
Because new players arrived and were wondering about the endings.

the siblings only ending seems to me the most canonical based on the early dynamics of the characters in the game.
Whereas I'd argue that because there are two forced relationships in the game, there's significance to the other one. Yes, you can get out of one of them (and eventually, if you're enough of an asshole, get out of both of them). The part of that supposition that's related to the endings is not only that Haley + Sandra plays out as if actual thought had been given to it, but that by the end, Sandra has a relationship (not necessarily a sexual one) with almost every other important character in the game.

That being cleared, I do not see any reason to further waste the time and continue discussing this particular issue.
Great. Then you know what to do!

Reactions: Quetzzz
4.20 star(s) 298 Votes