Hardware upgrade

Evil Dr Porkchop

Brought to you by expensive technology
Donor
May 16, 2019
is it really worth it ?,curent system specs 17 6700K Ausus RTX2070 ) Asus Ranger 7 motherboard, shit card graphics card,or crappy drivers was thinking of going I9 9900K motherboard Asus Maximus Hero, Z390 chipset and the new Radeon 5700XT however i game at 1080p and play mid range games and can't seem to validate spending 1200 $ for a possible 20% performance increase.....suggestions ? but i do need a new case not one of those shitty plastic jobs

Or have i answered my own question ?

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I kept all the internals and just changed the case when I wanted to 'upgrade', the new case has better cooling and generally looks nicer. :)

Nelythia

Donor
Oct 11, 2018
If you were interested in developing a game with either 3D Daz or Playhome/HS, do you really need like over 24GB Ram or is that always just a number pulled out of thin air?

Wouldn't 16gb be enough to render decent looking 720p or 1080p images when they're not going to the extremes of having hundreds of details in each scene?

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
If you were interested in developing a game with either 3D Daz or Playhome/HS, do you really need like over 24GB Ram or is that always just a number pulled out of thin air?

Wouldn't 16gb be enough to render decent looking 720p or 1080p images when they're not going to the extremes of having hundreds of details in each scene?
As somebody who develops in Daz, out of thin air.
My PC has 16GB of RAM and I do just fine (it does have a GPU with 11GB of its own, but the system RAM is only 16gb)
Daz uses your GPU's RAM for rendering, system RAM only for previews or if you render off the CPU

Reactions: Nelythia

anonnom

Jul 7, 2017
OP didn't say anything about daz. :whistle:

if you are going to change platforms, i would go AMD Ryzen. MUCH better bang per buck.
only way i would buy Intel right now is if i gamed for a living and wanted absolute minimum frame times.

i would just get a 5700 or XT and see how your current system runs.

planing a new build myself. my 2500K motherboard caps are starting to go. (needing to increase voltage on CPU, and RAM)