TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Nah, they say somewhere that that's the only country where the elves are slaves, iirc, so moving there from another place would have made no sense for her family.
Don't remember exactly, but that they moved from the country, and that they were involved in getting the elves enslaved in the first place (but she always tried to change the subject when it was raised). It would explain why she was so adamant about elven rights, why she was staying so near her family, but not with them, and a lot of other details. Her being a normal human is a bit boring in comparison.
The idea came from what Lin said about any potential children we might have together, how they would be almost human, but for the telltale ears, and that they could live in secret, but if anyone found out, they would lose any rights as a human, and be treated, legally, as a elf.

Reactions: passerbyR34

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
Don't remember exactly, but that they moved from the country, and that they were involved in getting the elves enslaved in the first place (but she always tried to change the subject when it was raised). It would explain why she was so adamant about elven rights, why she was staying so near her family, but not with them, and a lot of other details. Her being a normal human is a bit boring in comparison.
The idea came from what Lin said about any potential children we might have together, how they would be almost human, but for the telltale ears, and that they could live in secret, but if anyone found out, they would lose any rights as a human, and be treated, legally, as a elf.
That would've been quite the plot twist if she turned out to be half-elf... And if iirc, half-elves have like no rights whatsoever, so we could've pretty much just turned her into a sex slave without her permission.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Nah, they say somewhere that that's the only country where the elves are slaves, iirc, so moving there from another place would have made no sense for her family.
I don't know if it's said that well in previous versions, but in v0.6, Ellen will come to your room and you'll be able to ask about Elves. One of the questions you're able to ask is "What's up with all the Elves?"

MC isn't from this part of the world. The first time he visited this part was in the intro, so MC has never seen an Elf in person. Elves are only found on the continent Harem Hotel takes place in (Although you could assume some Elves have managed to be brought over to other parts of the world).

In Autumn's last event in v0.5, it's hinted that "A lot has changed in the last 20 years". Hinting at the fact that Elves were given rights 20 years ago. It's also said Autumn's father was the biggest reason why Elves have all the rights they do. Nobody would have listened to an Elf, or a Half Elf about Elven rights.

In one of Autumn's events, it's said that She moved to this corner of the world with her family when she was young. Her father didn't want to hire any male Elves to build the Cafe, so Autumn, her sister, and himself built the Cafe with their bare hands. His father didn't want to take part in Elven slavery.

It's also said the Autumn's father was offered a lot of well paying jobs when his family moved there, but he turned them down to not take part in Elven slavery.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That would've been quite the plot twist if she turned out to be half-elf... And if iirc, half-elves have like no rights whatsoever, so we could've pretty much just turned her into a sex slave without her permission.
That, or we could have promised to keep her secret, and help her build a life (until she was caught and we 'buy' her to protect her... :devilish:)...
Though the elves do some some rights, in that you can't rape one, but if she was a half-elf, then blackmail or something could have been an option.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I don't know if it's said that well in previous versions, but in v0.6, Ellen will come to your room and you'll be able to ask about Elves. One of the questions you're able to ask is "What's up with all the Elves?"

MC isn't from this part of the world. The first time he visited this part was in the intro, so MC has never seen an Elf in person. Elves are only found on the continent Harem Hotel takes place in (Although you could assume some Elves have managed to be brought over to other parts of the world).

In Autumn's last event in v0.5, it's hinted that "A lot has changed in the last 20 years". Hinting at the fact that Elves were given rights 20 years ago. It's also said Autumn's father was the biggest reason why Elves have all the rights they do. Nobody would have listened to an Elf, or a Half Elf about Elven rights.

In one of Autumn's events, it's said that She moved to this corner of the world with her family when she was young. Her father didn't want to hire any male Elves to build the Cafe, so Autumn, her sister, and himself built the Cafe with their bare hands. His father didn't want to take part in Elven slavery.

It's also said the Autumn's father was offered a lot of well paying jobs when his family moved there, but he turned them down to not take part in Elven slavery.
If her father had taken an elven lover (Autumn's mom), that would have explained a lot of his motivation for doing all of that though. ;) (Sorry, I really liked that concept, even if it's obviously not true now, it would have been an interesting 'dark secret' for her).

Oh well, here is hoping that the high elf Sylvia, remembers that I did in fact TRY to free Lin, but she did not want to leave, so I let her stay (I am not going to kick her out after all). I did not buy her, and I am not keeping her against her will! :whistle: As far as I am concerned, Lin is a free woman who does what she wants. :p

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
If her father had taken an elven lover (Autumn's mom), that would have explained a lot of his motivation for doing all of that though. ;) (Sorry, I really liked that concept, even if it's obviously not true now, it would have been an interesting 'dark secret' for her).

Oh well, here is hoping that the high elf Sylvia, remembers that I did in fact TRY to free Lin, but she did not want to leave, so I let her stay (I am not going to kick her out after all). I did not buy her, and I am not keeping her against her will! :whistle: As far as I am concerned, Lin is a free woman who does what she wants. :p
That would be a good reason. Somewhat selfish, since he only cared because he had an Elvish wife though.

But because he isn't personally attached to any Elves, his reasons are purely selfless. He's doing this for no other reason than because he believes it's right. Which makes him a good, righteous man.

Afternote: This is also why Autumn is an objectively good person. While she has somewhat disagreeable opinions, her actions are purely good. This was taken from her father.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That would be a good reason. Somewhat selfish, since he only cared because he had an Elvish wife though.

But because he isn't personally attached to any Elves, his reasons are purely selfless. He's doing this for no other reason than because he believes it's right. Which makes him a good, righteous man.

Afternote: This is also why Autumn is an objectively good person. While she has somewhat disagreeable opinions, her actions are purely good. This was taken from her father.
It could be, if he only cared about his lover, but what if she had opened his eyes to the truth, and the unfairness of it all. For example if he had thought of them as nothing but animals, but they had a touching moment, and he finally saw them as people, and from then on, thanks to her, he started supporting elves. Unfortunately, one day they were found out, and her mom died/was captured protecting her, and they had to leave in order to protect her.

Sure, it is slightly more selfish, in that they have some skin in the game, but that just makes someone want to fight harder. It's motivation, not really a cop-out, they are still trying to right a wrong they were involved in (or the church was), they ar still trying to do the right thing. I never saw her as anything other than a good person, though she is woefully misguided. Even if she had been a half-elf, a selfish person would do everything to keep their secret and only worry about themselves, but she was trying to help others too, while putting herself at risk. Same with Sylvia, she is trying to do the right thing, and go about it the right way (non-violent), but her ...let's say 'misconceptions' about other people, and treating everyone as a stereotype, is causing her to hurt the people she wants to help (and got herself in trouble).

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Another thought, is that it could be he was always pro-elf, and was fighting for their rights and that was how 'he met her mother' (if that had been true). This would also leave his integrity intact, and not have him doing it for purely selfish reasons, it was just added incentive. :sneaky:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Sounds like Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings. He freed all of her children when they reached their majority, something he didn't do for his other slaves.

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
For a moment there, I thought that said "Elvish wine". Now THAT would be a selfish reason! :LOL:

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
The new update came out... wheres the release boiz
The new update did not come out. A barebones build of the earliest version of v0.6 came out meant for bug testing and feedback.

It has a total of 11 events, probably about 10% - 15% of the total update.

The reason I very much dislike it when Alpha/Beta builds are leaked is because they are horribly buggy, unpolished, and unworthy of being called an update. Pre Releases are another story as the only thing needed to be done to them are bug fixes and polishing.

If someone were to stumble upon Harem Hotel, they would no doubt download the highest version they could find. However, if the highest version they found barely functioned and had holes all around, they would assume my game is terrible.

Or, if you played the last version, and found out it was updated from "v0.5" to "v0.6" you'd think: "Oh boy! New update!" Then find it only added a handful of events and assume "Man, this developer is shit. Absolutely no content added this update."

Both of those things are results I would dread. Mods here would also dread all the uploading they would have to do.

I release builds every week. A week's worth of content every time, and a couple bug patches along the way. A mod here has to upload 3 builds for PC, 3 builds for Mac, and 3 builds for Android. Each (currently) 2.5GB. That's going to take a lot of time and effort. Now imagine doing that every week. Now imagine doing that multiple times a week for simple bug fixes. That's roughly 27 uploads a week for one game, nobody wants to do that. I believe they've changed their way of doings things to no longer upload "beta" versions of games since patches are put out so quickly, it would turn into slavery.

Ouryuken

Apr 28, 2017
why she has two pony tails (if you could call them that)
Pigtails, kind sir, short ones on opposite sides of the head are pigtails (can be used for small ones in general, as long as they are on the sides)

Carry on the light of one of the best hairstyles ever ~

Reactions: Runey

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Pigtails, kind sir, short ones on opposite sides of the head are pigtails (can be used for small ones in general, as long as they are on the sides)

Carry on the light of one of the best hairstyles ever ~
I used to think the same thing, but it's called 'twin-tails', a pigtail is actually a braid or two.

4.70 star(s) 442 Votes