Has anyone ported hantzgruber's Blender characters into Daz G8F?

Feb 3, 2020
I just saw his new Padme model and the likeness is better than any available for Daz.

Some of his older models also make me want to ditch Daz and take on the learning curve of Blender (not really, I just don't have the time...)

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Its possible, I could look into it (a heavy blender user, slight daz user) I've done something similar, but the face/mouth is the tricky part. The body is easy since you can just sculpt it or use shrinkwrapping to make a morph that fits the mesh to the body. I know the bones have to be recalculated in daz, and I am not familiar with make dedicated characters that preserve this skeletal data. But I don't have the time currently...

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I'm going to get a bit picky here. An external character like this could be brought into Daz Studio and rigged there so that it could be posed. Basically, you'd have to bring in the mesh create a skeleton (or copy one in) and then do the weight painting. (In theory, you could just bring it in as a pre-rigged FBX, but Daz Studio's ability to reliably import "foreign" formats is not good at all.) Doing that, however, will not make it a G8F. It would make it a completely new and separate character, unrelated to any of the existing Daz characters.

To be one of the Genesis variants, and have Daz Studio work correctly with it as such, requires that you use the existing mesh for the corresponding Genesis generation. Every single G8F character, for example, uses the same mesh, just with the vertices moved around a bit. (Or a lot.) The fact that the mesh is identical (same vertex order, same polygon definition order) is critical, because it affects a number of aspects of how Daz Studio works - clothing "auto-fit", for example. So the above technique might give you a poseable figure, but it wouldn't be (easily) able to wear any G8F clothing.

Now, if you really wanted a G8F figure, what you'd probably have to do would be to take the external model and a G8F model into Blender and then resculpt the G8F model (without adding or removing vertices) so that it matched the model in question. Once you'd done that, you could then re-import the resculpted G8F mesh into Daz Studio and use Morph Loader Pro to set up the new Padme shape as a G8F morph, just like any of the other character morphs. Then you'd "only" have to deal with getting the materials into all the correct UV mappings for G8F.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I guess it's doable with some work. You have to import both g8 model and your mesh in Daz, and make it g8 match your other mesh pose and scale (don't worry about under/over scale). Use any morphs you want but try to be as close as possible, then send g8 model in Zbrush via Goz at subD0.

Import your custom mesh into Zbrush as well and project your g8 mesh into it. Zbrush do a fair job but Wrap3 plugin (I guess stand alone works as well) could be very useful as you can use for your projection (could come handy for eye/lips/ears/hand/feet...). Export as obj and keep it, it's gonna be your Daz body/head morph.

Finally import both meshes in blender and bake diffuse texture of your custom mesh into his g8 clone. You have to bake for each UV tile (torso/arms/legs etc...), never found a way to bake all in one shot but I'm no blender expert. Since it's tedious, once set of diffuse maps done you better generate heights, speculars and normals maps with materialize, substance painter or similar.

But to be brutally honest, seeing the mesh/skin in itself I wouldn't bother. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine skin but really not on par with what you can pull with some iray skin or similar detailed skin imho.

padme___star_wars_by_hantzgruber_ddrslia-pre.jpg