Has anyone tried SIM Engine (unity) ?

pointlessexchange

Aug 17, 2018
I found on the Unity Asset store, and it seems very decent. I haven't tried it yet, but if anyone has, please let me know whether I should be buying it! Thanks!

TearStar

Developer of Lesbian/Futa Games
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
Well, do you have any reason to use Unity?
If you do, please share with me, because I want to learn Unity but I've been developing games in renpy, I found it easier.

Maybe if you can understand my point this might apply to you.

I'm an IT student at a local university, we learned c# for 3 semester. So when I look at these type of unity assets and I read the description as I did in your case too: I looked at it and I found this kind of unnecessary. This does not give you any feature that is hard to program by yourself. None actually.

If you have any reason to use unity instead of etc, you might know coding for a basic level right? If that's so why don't you make it yourself? You'll get better at coding and not using any type of library (also C# does not need any external librarys, a very well defined language).

If you know coding, you can just make it yourself. That's it.

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018

The models for free cities banners were made in that I'd guess by the look of it. Would be hot if someone were to develop this game into that engine

Finsit

Harder Better Faster Cheater
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Well, do you have any reason to use Unity?
If you do, please share with me, because I want to learn Unity but I've been developing games in renpy, I found it easier.

Maybe if you can understand my point this might apply to you.

I'm an IT student at a local university, we learned c# for 3 semester. So when I look at these type of unity assets and I read the description as I did in your case too: I looked at it and I found this kind of unnecessary. This does not give you any feature that is hard to program by yourself. None actually.

If you have any reason to use unity instead of etc, you might know coding for a basic level right? If that's so why don't you make it yourself? You'll get better at coding and not using any type of library (also C# does not need any external librarys, a very well defined language).

If you know coding, you can just make it yourself. That's it.
There is plenty of reason to prefer Unity over Ren'Py, mainly because Ren'Py is a mess of that is undocumented on top of that.

But trading an undocumented mess for an other is not the wisest choice, so one must makes sure that you don't buy something unusable.

But really, the best asset of Ren'Py is the rollback/state system, but when you delve into more complex systems it breaks appart.

TearStar

Developer of Lesbian/Futa Games
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
But really, the best asset of Ren'Py is the rollback/state system, but when you delve into more complex systems it breaks appart.
Oh, I know that ^^ . I know, but I also know that Unity and C# is strong combo that's why I'm asking OP what's the main reason over another. Ren'py is not well documented that is sure, but since I know coding I found solutions to codes. I also overcomed the rollback problem in my case, no works better than fine. (fucking pickling...)

That's the thing with Unity: unnecesarry libraries, that is easy to make.

But it's all on developers I guess... I have enough JAVA at my workplace for a life so and python is hot on the market.
Most of the code in this example is maximum two or three class. At least in C#.

RexDaGod

Jun 8, 2017
I mean depends what game you want to make. Ren'Py is an engine made for VN and while you can get other stuff to work in it there very heavy limitation. Upside is Ren'Py make the processing of seeing up VN style really easy with lot of built in functions to us.

With unity its a game engine, you're going to have to build a lot of stuff from ground up but you also have the freedom to well build any type of game you want. There is also a nice asset store in unity with lot of free stuff to use. Like if you want to build say first person shooter you hardly want to use Ren'Py XD

Akatriel

May 20, 2017
If you don't have the skills to program a 2D sprite based game with day cycles, inventory, dialogue etc. Then why aren't you using Ren'py? It has all that and more, tested and tried by thousands of other developers.

If you do have the skills to produce the above, why aren't you making it in Unity yourself? You need to be intimate with these systems if you are going to integrate it into your own game. The maker of SIM engine won't have made everything exactly to your needs, so you'll need to modify at least some stuff. Without documentation, it will take significant time to learn how this other developer built it. You might buy it and then realize that current dialogue systems implementation doesn't allow of XML import of something, that you absolutely need.

It has no reviews or uploaded documentation, usually warning signs.

Just seems like an odd choice.

Alvidas

Jul 2, 2018
I love RenPy for vn, but I believe it does not hurt to learn Unity for other genres of games.

Honey Tales

Donor
Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
For me, I prefer Unity because it gave me more flexibility over my games. If I don't know how to do some complex feature, probably there is something in the asset store that already does the job. Also, it has some powerful visual scripting plugins to help you out in case you are not strong with C#

Reactions: Alvidas