VN - Ren'Py - Haunted University [v0.1] [Axolotl Games]

1. 5.00 star(s)

divii

It looks super good, wish there was at least a good scene in the first chapter though, but expectations are HIGH, very excited to see what's coming and i hope it doesn't take forever for updates!!!!!!
  2. 4.00 star(s)

kuraiken

A promising start, with a couple of small flaws.

Overall, Haunted University makes a good impression. The renders are well-crafted, the colors spot on, the shots interesting and the characters unique and interesting in their design. The game also features music that mostly fits the scenes and some of the pieces can give you quite the earworm.

You play a young student starting at university despite his parents disapproval. Strapped for cash, you're living in the mixed dorms, trying to navigate this new life and the relationships and friendships that came with it. There's a pretty big cast of very different characters, with very different personalities and not every one is likeable (so far). They all seem to have different outlooks in life and pursue different goals, making them feel grounded and real.

Despite the early friends you make, not everything's all rosy. The sorrority seems to be guided into a new direction that seems to favor nasty and mean girls, while the frat boys are bullying people around campus.

But there's a twist: the university is haunted, people have been disappearing recently, and even some of your fellow dorm members seem to be noticing eery things happening.

All in all, it promises to be a story with lots of different characters, a youthful vibe of different characters building friendships and relationships, all with a mysterious & spooky spin.

There's a couple of downsides and areas of improvement though:
    There's some spelling and grammatical errors (he/she him/her getting confused) as well as using spaces before exclamation marks and question marks.
    Some of the choices don't allow much indication for what consequences will follow. For instance, I don't know if some of the choices I made completely closed those characters paths or not. This is especially tricky because some girls that seem to possibly be romance interests or options (Kimberly) are so far quite dislikeable and its hard to know whether I want anything to do with them this early on.
    Overall, it's not quite clear who the main romance interests are (the album seems to indicate its Kimberly, Dina and Sakura - who barely appeared so far)
    and what the harem tag relates to or how and in what way the other characters will be involved.

Also, Timothy is way too cute looking and there's no gay tag, so that's a problem.

Lastly, I should mention the scene so many people here seem to get wholly upset about. A character that does not seem to be a main love interest has sex with your roommate - that's how you meet him. There's a couple ways how you can handle that, two of which are in my opinion quite funny.
    Some people seem to be unable to handle that. Not every character, it turns out, is a lifelong virgin waiting for you to be their first, and this has shocked and horrified some of the early reviewers. What a nightmare!

If your skin's tough enough to handle a brief glimpse of university life involving other people, and you like to try a slice of life mixed with horror/ghost story, this might be a game to watch out for.

I, at least, am looking forward to the next update - and hoping for a couple of improvements. (Give us Timothy!)
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Johnnny002

Review of v0.1 – 5/5

Pros:
    Stunning renders
    nice atmosphere
    The story is captivating and Mysterious from the start
    Writing and storytelling is rly solid
    Very good cast of Characters

Cons:
    a bit short for a v 0.1
    no nsfw scenes yet
  4. 2.00 star(s)

godscoper

I dont know how to review this game dialogue seems a little weird for a supposed harem game. am I guessing where girls will be having sex with other guys until MC is about to romance them? It feels like most girls are sluts and will cheat on MC or brag about sex life on campus. Also feels like jocks will end up with a future LI. black hair with your roommate, hope she isn't LI, I won't be touching her because seems like fucks anyone at any time.
    the only sex scene is a roommate banging a girl. great start to a non-NTR game.
    I don't mind if girls aren't virgins.
    Feels like the dev with be fenced on what is NTR and not by having if a girl isn't in a romance or a relationship with MC then it isn't NTR, I hope I'm wrong 100%

1. Renders: give it 3/5 not bad but only the intro will see how to improve's

2. Story: 3.9/5 interesting story so far have wait see if good or bad

4. choices: 1/5: Im confused on what happens with choices with girls
    example friends from school either go on dates or stay at dorms with girls
    what will happen to defend girls from bullies or ignore them?
    also feels like if we choose one girl then the other one will go with another guy during the party maybe?
    (Will let choices be neutral because the new game, hopefully, starts to matter in the next few updates)

5. Characters: why does it feel like most girls are slutty, willing to jump on any guy's dick except a few so far. I get collage/ parties but pretty sure most of us harem/non-players don't want to constantly hear about girls doing this and that to guys or girl having a harem of boys

scenes: The only sex scene we have so far it amazing looking girl having sex with your roommate and admitting love sex

girls: So far looks like we have 7 future Li and side characters
    1. Dina: okay character so far, just hope she doesn't get corrupted or bullied to do something
    2. Kimberly: was an okay person then found out on a date loved to bully people, and wants to join a college sorority, guess she is also slut? not sure yet
    3. Sakura: not much told by her because not really any screen time, but a judge of writing shy girl
    4-7 don't know so far

side characters? not sure if they are future Li or side pieces
    1. Cassy: her story looks pretty good
    2. Mercedes and Heaven are bullies and sluts either they arent Li or we put them in place
    3. Nikki: cute red head but that's it another one likes talk about sex constantly and sounds like enjoys one nightstand
    4. Meaya looks okay person will judge later date
    5. unknown black hair girl (from the roommate scene) looks amazing but my guess is she, isn't Li but a side character (sex with her if want) because the first sex scene is with her and your roommate and she loves dicks/ slut. Pretty much won't be touching her unless the dev reworks it or she either gets tested/wears a condom. We have no idea
    6. MC male friends met: seems a good group to hang out with
    7. MC roommate: Yeah he's a male slut and sounds like willing sleep with a future Li before MC does/ also cheats on his girlfriend
    8. jocks/ bullies I have a feeling that during jocks' college sorority party, many players will either keep playing or leave because I'm pretty sure some kind of BJ contest/ or something us Non-NTR players won't like
    9. MC: wtf I don't mind him being plain but really option enjoy the show roommate and girl having sex? Is Mc a beta and will he get seconds or thirds or girls after passing around?

will edit if everything I said improves in a few updates
    edit:2 After hearing what the dev said only have 1 Li and Harem of side characters. So Li is probably not sluts and isn't part of the harem and side characters in harems are slutty, sex addicts who sleep around?
    I guess it's something different but not sure a lot of players wont like that idea unless just make the game NTR tag.

so pretty much a sharing type of game until the end. feels like the dev trying to say isn't NTR if MC doesn't have a relationship with them then it's fine.

yeah Most likely will be ignoring the game. Pretty much not going to keep girls with sleep around part of the harem (looking at you black hair girl with a roommate)
  5. 2.00 star(s)

holaje12

I only gave this a try because it said in the op that there wouldn't be ntr in the game, and after playing it I just can't help but feeling it actually should have it, I think it would make more sense.

Mc is a pathetic cowardly voyeur so if you were hoping his looks wouldn't fit his personality, you were wrong. The women around are mostly unlikeable skanks, like really, really slutty, and the only sex scene is some other NPC fucking one of the most beautiful girls in the game and MC watching, and that somehow feels natural for someone like him.

The game does have choices but they are badly implemented, the game asks you to choose without even giving you enough info about the characters.

The positives I can find is the renders and a bit the story which has a paranormal aspect that makes it a bit interesting, too bad about the characters, but I dont see this as a harem or romance game I would enjoy, that's impossible.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

FatGiant

Short review of v.0.1

Pros:

- Good renders
    - Music and sounds
    - Story is intriguing
    - The writing is decent (couple of typos, nothing major)
    - Decent clean UI
    - Characters well designed and believable

Cons:

- The choices seem extreme, not clear what they lead to
    - The MC feels detached
    - Bullying everywhere

Conclusion: 3/5 - (Mostly because of the Bullying)

Recommended so far, hoping for less bullying, does not inspire trust right now.