Having an issue with Renpy

NTRprise

Jan 22, 2018
Hello, So I've been playing Renpy games and after some time the bottom centre controls just disappear like this (game is "Summer with Mia" by the way. And it keeps happening with the engine, just restarting the game and loading a save file doesn't work. Any way to fix this?

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hello, So I've been playing Renpy games and after some time the bottom centre controls just disappear like this (game is "Summer with Mia" by the way. And it keeps happening with the engine, just restarting the game and loading a save file doesn't work. Any way to fix this?
Does this happen with just that game or all Ren'Py games?

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Think is a bug for the renpy platform. My solution is load a save with the bar still visible, skip and rewrite the saves without it.

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
i assume, you miss the quick_menu at the bottom of the screen
open console <shift + o> (look for a tool to enable the console) and type suppress_overlay = False
your menu should be visible again
and yes, that's a renpy problem

Reactions: Palanto and UncleVT

NTRprise

Jan 22, 2018
i assume, you miss the quick_menu at the bottom of the screen
open console <shift + o> (look for a tool to enable the console) and type suppress_overlay = False
your menu should be visible again
and yes, that's a renpy problem
I tried to open the console but shift+o doesn't work.

NTRprise

Jan 22, 2018
Where he says "look here" you must click in "here".
Alright, so I'm playing a new game on the renpy engine "The Tyrant" and there is no quick menu enabled (I can't tell if there even is one.) as you see and I am unable to open the console via shift+o. So the bug is certainly tied to the engine but only a reboot of my PC seems to fix it, which is really annoying.

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
Alright, so I'm playing a new game on the renpy engine "The Tyrant" and there is no quick menu enabled (I can't tell if there even is one.) as you see and I am unable to open the console via shift+o. So the bug is certainly tied to the engine but only a reboot of my PC seems to fix it, which is really annoying.
unren
  • drop the unren.bat into your game folder, run it, choose your options
    (for your problem, option 3)
quick_menu
  • we are talking here about the standard renpy version
    if the dev has changed the name or behavior, you have to read the scipt and adopt what i'm talking here :)
  • this is the screen name of that little menu at bottom center of your screen
  • it is also the name of a variable that controls it's visibility
  • open console and type quick_menu = True to make it visible, check it's status with quick_menu
    the response should be True
    (but in some games it is set to False by the dev because of reasons)
  • if you are certain, that it should be visible but don't have it on your screen, than type suppress_overlay = True
    this should ultimately make it visible again
  • with the variable suppress_overlay renpy has the ability to hide a bunch of screens defined on that specific layer
    but i think there is a bug within renpy's code when it comes to re-enable these screens
The Tyrant
  • as you can see, it is possible to enable the menu here, but in "sandbox" games it's often disabled
    screenshot0001.png screenshot0002.png
    the quick_menu is more a feature for vn's to skip through lots of text or rollback to change your choices

Reactions: rax0045 and Palanto