HDRIs and Getting the Scene Above Ground Floor

Jan 14, 2023
I'm using Daz. What I want to do is load an HDRI, backdrop, or whatever, that makes the room looks like it's not on the first floor. I can't translate my room upward to accomplish this because the ground just comes up with it. I'm doing a scene in an opulent bathroom. We're on the 37th floor or whatever. Manhattan, whatever. There's a window. Out the window, it should be a view of buildings across from the penthouse from the vantage point of the 37th floor. Or the fourth floor. Whatever the case may be. I don't want to see the ground like I'm on the first floor. I'm sure I'm not putting the right search terms because I'm new to this, but I'm not seeing anything on the tutorials that tells me how to do this. I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm not finding it as all of this is new to me. Thank you in advance for the help.

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
I'm using Daz. What I want to do is load an HDRI, backdrop, or whatever, that makes the room looks like it's not on the first floor. I can't translate my room upward to accomplish this because the ground just comes up with it. I'm doing a scene in an opulent bathroom. We're on the 37th floor or whatever. Manhattan, whatever. There's a window. Out the window, it should be a view of buildings across from the penthouse from the vantage point of the 37th floor. Or the fourth floor. Whatever the case may be. I don't want to see the ground like I'm on the first floor. I'm sure I'm not putting the right search terms because I'm new to this, but I'm not seeing anything on the tutorials that tells me how to do this. I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm not finding it as all of this is new to me. Thank you in advance for the help.
There a couple of ways I do this. One, is to make an image of just the background from the angle you want with the camera. Then in postproduction, add that background into the images (as long as you render in png.)

Second option, check that the ground setting (Ground Position Mode) is set to manual in your render settings. You may have to move your room vertically quite a bit to get the background to be in the right place after doing this. I have had no luck moving the HDRI down, but you can move the scene up.

Hope this helps