HEADS UP! 11/4/2018. PD Artist (Howler, landscape generation) on sale at Daz store for $1.99.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just saw this, thought I'd share.

For those looking for something to generate landscape background images, and maybe even to import an outdoor environment that you just made into Daz Studio, yeah PD Artist 11 is part of the sale going on today. $1.99 as I type this!

PD Howler (the full version that includes animation) is the big brother to PD Artist, but PD Artist supposedly has all of the other features except animation.

The rendering component inside this program is apparently very fast, if you are looking to generate standalone backdrop images, etc.

There appears to be an upgrade/sidegrade path to full PD Howler if you want to do that at a later date.

It normally retails for $26.95 (Howler retails for $44.95), so yeah, $1.99 is a screaming deal.

There are several YouTube videos that relate to this program, if you want to learn more.

A quick note, if you aren't already a PC+ member, you will need to make a qualifying purchase (debut/still new release) in order to get the $1.99 price. As for PC+ members, no qualifying purchase required for PC+ members!

I doubt the price will last beyond today, but if you are looking for an alternative to Bryce, etc... well this does look rather intriguing!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Sale is over now.

its cheaper to use terragen
Your suggestion of Terragen is interesting, except that the 'free' version only allows 30 days of commercial use. People looking to offer their games via Patreon are in essence Commerical Users.

There are other limitations to the 'free' version as well.

Among other things, the Free version of Terragen doesn't do terrain geometry export. If you have $699 (or $39/month for the subscription model), yeah then you can do terrain geometry export... Note that PD Artist comes with terrain geometry export.

In any case, doesn't matter now, sale is over. PD Artist is still reasonably priced compared to Terragen (although Terragen may be a more robust program depending on the version you are using), but there are always other sales.