Hello all

DaSpudly

Aug 28, 2019
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while and playing a bunch of games, getting a feel for what I like and don't like.

I'm sure a load of others have said it, but I have a few ideas and I'm going to have a go at making a few games.

I have the story about half written and I'm starting to see the shape it will take.

It's kind of unusual in that there will be a series of smaller games which introduce each of the main secondary characters, then another larger game in which the protagonist is introduced, meets all the secondary characters, then the protagonist will choose three of the secondary characters to set off with, with the rest of the secondary characters following along as time goes by.

It's a bit sprawling and ambitious, but as things stand right now, I'm in something of a lucky situation which means I can work on various aspects of the project while I'm at my place of employment, which helps a lot.

The series will be using Ren'py for the engine, but I'm still working on how my workflow will proceed.

At the moment, for reasons which I have been unable to discover, Iray isn't rendering using the Cuda cores of my graphics card. I've checked everything, it isn't the scene being too big for the memory, it drops back to CPU even when I try to render the default material ball scene, which uses a total of 337kb. Since I'm using a nVidia 1650 with 4gb of RAM, I'm pretty sure it isn't running out of memory. It even drops to CPU when I render an empty scene.

So, I've been looking at rendering with Blender, which is absolutely a possibility. EEVEE has a lot of potential from a speed perspective, though I'm going to have to play with it a bit more to get rid of the plastic looking flesh colours. If all else fails, I can use Cycles, which involves a bit more setting up, but gives really good results.

So there you go, that's me. You guys look to have a really nice community here. I hope I can join in with it. My plan is very much to keep my eyes open and my mouth shut, unless I can help in some way, or unless I have a question I can't find the answer to anywhere else.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Reactions: Papa Ernie