Hello dearies

OhJo

Feb 20, 2019
Hi F95zone-residents, contributors, and lurkers,

Reserved some time to get to know this forum before deciding to stick around, figured an introduction was due, now that I do plan to continue frequenting this forum.

Hi, I am Jo(hanna). Dutch, perennial student of History, and in love with the idea of freedom to write the kind of stories that abound in this place.
For a while now, I have been contemplating the possibilities of publishing my own virtual novel, I will post more about that in the near future. I look forward to learning from developers, artists, and writers.

Meanwhile, I am working on a Master's thesis, and - flowing from my research for that project - somewhat obsessed with Syria, American imperialism, and narrative as the most important currency of our age.
In my spare time, I cycle (a lot), and follow Brexit with a passion. Oh, and I like long walks in the mountains - we don't have those here, so I also like to travel.

So yeah. There's that. Oh, and I rendered myself somewhat in Daz. :whistle:
Much love,
Jo

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Hi F95zone-residents, contributors, and lurkers
Hi Jo :) Welcome to the site!

I'm immediately fascinated as to whether your idea for a visual novel relates to your studies and interest in Syria. There's surprisingly little non-fantasy content on the site that isn't set in suburban America or Japan, and I'd be really interested to see something set in the Middle East. My own studies were on the region - largely during the medieval period - and I think it could offer huge potential for a very different adult novel.

PS Great render, btw

Fear375

Feb 17, 2019
Hi! You're quite welcome. I think here everyone will find something for themselves. Good luck!

Reactions: OhJo

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
Welcome Jo! Hope to see more of you in the threads developing your ideas, Daz abilities and coding skills whilst constructively contributing to this community :)

Reactions: Back and OhJo

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
American imperialism
Sometimes I wish the propaganda was true. While the British actually had an Empire-Imperialism, for a while, that's not what America is about. America rose in opposition to Imperialism, and that has never changed.

But if you want to make a game where America builds an empire, I'll support you. Let's invade El Salvador, and "make central america great again" Instead of sending aid, lets build some factories, and create some jobs in "American Colonies"
allow Canadian citizens to vote to become states of the union. American Imperialism would be awesome.
Imagine Venezuela as a US territory, they would be rich as hell selling oil, the citizens wouldn't be starving. Immigrants would be flocking to these places rather than running from them. Giving the canal to Panama was a huge mistake.

Welcome to the site.

Reactions: Back

OhJo

Feb 20, 2019
Welcome to F95Zone!
Thank you! ^_^

I'm immediately fascinated as to whether your idea for a visual novel relates to your studies and interest in Syria. There's surprisingly little non-fantasy content on the site that isn't set in suburban America or Japan, and I'd be really interested to see something set in the Middle East. My own studies were on the region - largely during the medieval period - and I think it could offer huge potential for a very different adult novel.
Hmm, not this project, but you're absolutely right.

I did write a few short stories on Syria, "The Lion's Desert Rose", roughly based on the life of Asma al-Assad, then shit hit the fan and I didn't seek publication. :) Would very much like to explore the possibilities of writing a story on Zenobia, or the Baron Hotel in Aleppo.

Medieval Syria is extremely interesting imo, and I look forward to having a chat about it at some point.

PS Great render, btw
Haha, thank you. I was quite surprised by and satisfied with how close it is to the real thing. :p

Hi! You're quite welcome. I think here everyone will find something for themselves. Good luck!
Thank you! That's the best, something for everyone. Won't always agree or like everything, but I think the rules block the most annoying and controversial 'RL' topics. ;)

Welcome Jo! Hope to see more of you in the threads developing your ideas, Daz abilities and coding skills whilst constructively contributing to this community :)
Thank you, I hope so too! :D

Welcome to the site.
Thank you, appreciate the warm welcome! :alien:

Reactions: RanliLabz

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Hmm, not this project, but you're absolutely right.

I did write a few short stories on Syria, "The Lion's Desert Rose", roughly based on the life of Asma al-Assad, then shit hit the fan and I didn't seek publication. :) Would very much like to explore the possibilities of writing a story on Zenobia, or the Baron Hotel in Aleppo.

Medieval Syria is extremely interesting imo, and I look forward to having a chat about it at some point.
lol - I'd enjoy that (though I'll have to stretch my mind back a few years!) Sad that a place with such an incredible history and cultural impact has been fubared by pretty much everyone in the world.

The fact that you're a short story writer - and the artwork you've posted in Daz Skillz - leads me to have very high hopes for your upcoming VN... Any chance of a quick outline of your idea? :)sneaky: bit cheeky, I know).

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018

Reserved some time to get to know this forum before deciding to stick around, figured an introduction was due, now that I do plan to continue frequenting this forum.

Hi, I am Jo(hanna). Dutch, perennial student of History, and in love with the idea of freedom to write the kind of stories that abound in this place.
For a while now, I have been contemplating the possibilities of publishing my own virtual novel, I will post more about that in the near future. I look forward to learning from developers, artists, and writers.

Meanwhile, I am working on a Master's thesis, and - flowing from my research for that project - somewhat obsessed with Syria, American imperialism, and narrative as the most important currency of our age.
In my spare time, I cycle (a lot), and follow Brexit with a passion. Oh, and I like long walks in the mountains - we don't have those here, so I also like to travel.

So yeah. There's that. Oh, and I rendered myself somewhat in Daz. :whistle:
Much love,
Jo
155579.gif

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Welcomes!
Don't know what else to add. So I'm just going to type things for a while and hope whatever ends up here vaguely looks like a warm welcome to the community. Oh, I know! I'm here if you wanna talk anything writing or Daz related, I'm always looking to improve and learn new things and impart any wisdom I may have accrued, which isn't much probably.
Ramble over!

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Sometimes I wish the propaganda was true. While the British actually had an Empire-Imperialism, for a while, that's not what America is about. America rose in opposition to Imperialism, and that has never changed.

But if you want to make a game where America builds an empire, I'll support you. Let's invade El Salvador, and "make central america great again" Instead of sending aid, lets build some factories, and create some jobs in "American Colonies"
allow Canadian citizens to vote to become states of the union. American Imperialism would be awesome.
Imagine Venezuela as a US territory, they would be rich as hell selling oil, the citizens wouldn't be starving. Immigrants would be flocking to these places rather than running from them. Giving the canal to Panama was a huge mistake.

Welcome to the site.
Dang! Time to screw up OhJo's thread with a bit of politics ;)

I'd accept that the term 'American Imperialism' is often used lazily or incorrectly to describe the natural state of geopolitical reality (i.e. just because someone is more powerful than you doesn't make them your imperial overlord - that actually requires some form of formal arrangement, or the inability to reject their demands without armed conflict). But that doesn't mean that America has not been an imperial/colonial power. It has, and the idea that it hasn't is a curious self-delusion.

America may have risen in opposition to Imperialism, but so did a number of countries including the Netherlands (from Spain) and the USSR (from itself) that went on to create Empires themselves. The US was just as quick to follow the successful Imperial model with rapid expansion towards the Pacific and Caribbean coasts - purchasing imperial territory from France, Russia and Mexico, annexing imperial territory from Britain & Spain, and conquering thousands of native tribes. Why did territory considered Imperial when run by a European power suddenly cease to be Imperial when taken over by the USA? What's the difference between the military imposition of a British protectorate over the Ashanti and Zulu, and the military imposition of an American protectorate over the Navajo or Shawnee that makes one Imperial and the other not?

Equally, if the Americans had no Empire - how does one explain the annexation of Hawaii, the Panama Canal, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the USMG of Cuba, Liberia, or half a century of US sovereignty over the Philippines? Under your implicit definition of Imperialism, the following territories were never part of the British Empire: Ireland(Hawaii), Hong Kong(Panama Canal), Puerto Rico(Isle of Man), Cuba(Yemen), Liberia(Uganda) and Malaysia(Philippines). Additionally, why should the US government-backed UMC's domination of numerous Latin American and Caribbean countries be seen as different to the British government-backed EIC in India and Hudson's Bay Company in Canada?

whereislotion

Jul 24, 2018
Welcome Jo :)
You may not have mountains but you got huge parks to make long walks!
Take a look at this, i believe you may like it: