Ren'Py Help finding module for random selection of events

CyberBull

Jun 30, 2017
Hello all, I'm trying to make a script for my game so when you press a menu option you'll go through a series of randomly selected labels. I've run into trouble with trying to get a module to work unfortunately

Here's the code
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The problem comes because no matter what I try I keep getting invalid syntax at the start of the second if statement
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not sure what else to try for anymore I would any help to get it working and jumping to the labels based on the random number.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The problem comes because no matter what I try I keep getting invalid syntax at the start of the second if statement
[...]
Code:
  File "game/Scripts/Database/test.rpy", line 19, in script
    if $levelselect = 1:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (game/Scripts/Database/test.rpy, line 19)
I'm not sure what else to try for anymore I would any help to get it working and jumping to the labels based on the random number.
What to try is just to be careful when you write your code. Coding languages have a absolutely strict syntax and grammar. Therefore, unlike "speaking language", a small error will totally change the meaning of what you wrote ; generally leading to a totally none understandable sentence.

The errors (yes, there's two) are explicitly pointed out and correctly described (which don't always happen with Ren'py). But, more important, only one of the errors is present in the example you gave.

So :
  • Remove the bogus $ before the variable name. The character is used to introduce an inline python code, not to prefix a variable ; Python do not prefix variables.
  • Replace the assignation operator (=) by the equality operator (==).

This said :

init python:
import random
This isn't needed and shouldn't be used. The random module is natively available through renpy.random witch provide the advantage to be Ren'py compliant.

label level1pick:
_random.randit (1,5)
_$levelselect = random.randint
__ if levelselect = 1:
___ jump .locallabel1
__elif levelselect = 2:
___ jump .locallabel2
__elif levelselect = 3:
___ jump .locallabel3
__ elif levelselect = 4:
___ jump .locallabel4
__ else
___ jump .locallabel5
The first line have a syntax error ("randit" in place of "randint") and don't assign it's value.
The second line assign the value of the randint method, not the result of a randomized value ; more regarding this error and the use of ().

Anyway, using a combination between the expression property and random.choice is better here :
Code:
label level1pick:
    jump expression renpy.random.choice( [ "choice 1", "choice 2", "choice 3" ] )

Edit:
Also, regarding my "be careful", you need to be way more strict when you write.
Look at your message, you used the code tag to format the traceback, but despite its obvious name, didn't thought about its effect when formating the code example you gave. This kind of inattention isn't compatible with code writing.

Last edited: