Help for making characters for visual novel

Feb 3, 2020
Hi, I'm planning to make my first VN. I have practically zero programming skills, so I'm using TyranoBuilder, which seemed to be the most simple VN Maker software for beginners, since Renpy has a bit of coding to do, not to mention Visual Novel Maker.

My question is this, what is the best software for creating characters? I had considered using Custom Order Maid 3D2, but the problem with COM3D2 is that I couldn't create the male character. COM3D2, were it not for the fact that it does not allow me to create the male character, would have been perfect because it does not require drawing skills and I really like the style of the characters of COM3D2. Are there better alternatives that don't need a college course to learn how to use them?

Jofur

May 22, 2018
The two biggest ones people use are Daz3D and Honey Select 1/2.
Daz3D has the bigger learning curve and might require a bit of a monetary investment, but arguably it's the art style most people on here prefer(next to hand drawn).
Other games that I've seen used, but are probably less liked are Koikatsu, The Sims 4 and Skyrim/Fallout 4.

Feb 3, 2020
The two biggest ones people use are Daz3D and Honey Select 1/2.
Daz3D has the bigger learning curve and might require a bit of a monetary investment, but arguably it's the art style most people on here prefer(next to hand drawn).
Other games that I've seen used, but are probably less liked are Koikatsu, The Sims 4 and Skyrim/Fallout 4.
I checked various software and finally decided not to do the male character. DAZ3D has, as you said, a learning curve that I think is excessive for someone who is making their first project. As for Honey Select, I don't really appreciate how the male character looks, I've already tried. I will make only the female characters with COM3D2.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
it's all depend on your taste of a style that you want to use

do you prefer blender, daz, Koikatsu, illusion, vam, Sims 4, Skyrim/Fallout 4 or hand drawn like summertime saga

everything have a learning curve

even TyranoBuilder have a learning curve as well like scripting and coding

Feb 3, 2020
everything have a learning curve
DAZ3D has, as you said, a learning curve that I think is excessive for someone who is making their first project.
Never said that there's something that has not a learning curve.

even TyranoBuilder have a learning curve as well like scripting and coding
I have practically zero programming skills, so I'm using TyranoBuilder, which seemed to be the most simple VN Maker software for beginners, since Renpy has a bit of coding to do, not to mention Visual Novel Maker.
Never said that TyranoBuilder does not have a learning curve, but it is easier than Ren'py, since with Ren'py you have to code practically everything, with TyranoBuilder you code much less.

do you prefer blender, daz, Koikatsu, illusion, vam, Sims 4, Skyrim/Fallout 4 or hand drawn like summertime saga
Like I said in both messages before, I like COM3D2 very much, the female characters look very good, and like I said in the last message, I decided not to do the male character at the end.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
I checked various software and finally decided not to do the male character. DAZ3D has, as you said, a learning curve that I think is excessive for someone who is making their first project. As for Honey Select, I don't really appreciate how the male character looks, I've already tried. I will make only the female characters with COM3D2.
Wait, so the game isn't gonna have any male characters?