Help! How could I recover/repair a Docx file after WPS ruined it?

SpoiledPrince

Apr 23, 2019
Hi there, and sorry in anticipation if this isn't the right board for my question, but I happen to be quite distressed about it.

After several very productive days writing my VN and aledgedly saving it every half an hour, it registers a failure, shuts down and the next time I open it it has deleted everything I wrote in these days. I tried to look for previous versions, but they don't appear... or they don't until I run WPS Files Repair and there are SIXTY waiting for me to click the repair button and ... pay for their premium service.
At the moment I feel almost as if my new chapters had been kidnapped and the program is asking me for a ransom.
How could I restore my docx document without entering their game of being charged for their failures?
Any cracks for the program? Any good free alternative?

Help me, please. I refuse to believe I have been working hard for nothing :(

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Photorec doesn't fix corrupted files afaik, but it can scan your hard disk and find copies saved in another sector. Chances are higher if you stop using the partition where the docx is supposed to be stored. Oh, and it's better than free. It's open source.

You could also inspect these folders:
C:\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Word
C:\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp

Reactions: SpoiledPrince

SpoiledPrince

Apr 23, 2019
Thanks guys! A good chunk of it is still missing, but at least some pages could be saved! That's better than I expected :)