Identify Help identifying game by file names

Feb 20, 2022
Something happened and I only have the file names. Tried to look in the UI folders and such for a hint at what the game might be called, but couldn't find anything.
The main characters (as in, having an image folder dedicated to them) are apparently called Lydia, Fiona, Jason, Atonia, Christine and Mel.

Anybody have any ideas?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
There are a few software for that, both free (such as Recuva, PhotoRec, Windows File Recovery for Windows 10+) and not (Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, EaseUS Data Recovery).

I wouldn't bother to recover the game files though: I would just download the latest version of Love & Vice. The game engine is Twine: it should automatically find your progress. Launch the game and you should be able to load it from the Save tab (assuming that you use the same browser and you didn't clean the cache since the last time).

Feb 20, 2022
There are a few software for that, both free (such as Recuva, PhotoRec, Windows File Recovery for Windows 10+) and not (Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, EaseUS Data Recovery).

I wouldn't bother to recover the game files though: I would just download the latest version of Love & Vice. The game engine is Twine: it should automatically find your progress. Launch the game and you should be able to load it from the Save tab (assuming that you use the same browser and you didn't clean the cache since the last time).
I wouldn't mind replaying the game, it's been more than a year, but my problem is much greater. Back in August (or perhaps even earlier) I resolved to finally clean up my Acer. Intended to move all my files to USB-stick. It seemed to work just fine, but one day I discovered that everything I transferred on that stick disappeared. And it had already been cleaned out of the recycle bin. I've managed to recover some of it through going through my chrome download history, but some entries can't be used (savegames.zip), others are indecipherable, and there's some unease at my having missed some (I also transferred a folder of favorite pictures and gifs, even managed to figure out the names, but recoverit's search bar yields no results, as it does when I type in the names of some of the games I know I downloaded and which should be found in the recycle bin). I'm also running Disk Driller on my USB stick on my Mac, but it's also coming up empty.
I wouldn't consider it human error, and all I need is the names, but I've got no damn luck...

Last edited:

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
If you didn't clear your cache in Chrome, your automatic saves should be still there (physically, they are archived inside "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache"). Just launch the game, you may be lucky. Or you could visit the game thread and ask for a save: then you can open it via Save -> Load from file...

The problem with both your USB drive and your hard disk is that, if you have saved any files on them recently, they may have partly overwritten, and thus corrupted, the older ones. If Disk Drill fails, try another software. Personally, I've been lucky with PhotoRec: despite its name, it can recover a wide variety of documents and you can filter your results by file format; the downside is that it isn't user-friendly.

You can also ask on General Troubleshooting, users more skilled than me may suggest you a better solution.

Reactions: HeavyMetalSuizid