Help installing DAZ assets

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
Been looking around the file tree of my installed content, trying to figure out how to install some of the assets I just downloaded. There's GOT to be a better way to install this stuff than 'Drag and Drop' each separate file, right???
Used to mod the sims a while back - someone had written a 3rd party installer that worked beautifully. Does something like this exist?

Reactions: ScarArtX

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
Let me be more specific:
I'm able to install content into DAZ through the online store, but I want to install some 3rd party content. I've downloaded several DAZ assets but am unsure what to do with them. There's a directory at c:>users\Public\Public Documents\My Daz 3D Library. I assume the goal is to get the new stuff into this file tree. This could be a tedious pain in the butt and easy to screw up.
There's another directory at c:>Users\Public\Public Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager. The files here seem unsorted, like the install manager has processed them into DAZ.

How are the assets installed? Does it require a tedious file-by-file drag copy/paste? Is there a way to point the install manager to the location of the files I want to install? If I can get a push start I think I can figure out most of it.

This is a new system that'll finally be able to handle the renders if I can get the models into DAZ. FINALLY got a water cooled 2GB GTX 1660, 256 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, and a core i9 3.1 GHz with 16GB of Ram. This is a pretty big step up from Paintshop Pro, and I really look forward to creating a few scenes.

SadgeGames

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2020
I could tell you where to put your assets to use them in daz via copy and paste but if you look for a way to automate it for more than one asset at a time I'm not sure how to do that and would also like to know :D.
For basic manual install to just get them into daz there is a tutorial, but the main point would be:

Copy all of the folders at the level of data, People, Runtime, etc.

Now it is time to paste them into their proper directory. Here's how to make absolutely sure they go to the right place! Unfortunately I can only go into this for Windows, since I don't own a Mac.

Start up DAZ Studio.

On the left, in your Content Library screen, right-click on the name of your base directory ("DAZ Products," "Renderosity," "ShareCG Freebies," etc.) and choose "Browse to folder location."

A window will pop up with the location of the exact base directory that you created. Right-click in the window and paste the files you copied. Now you should see your data, People, Runtime, etc. folders here with no base folder above them.

You can't screw it up and no files go missing but maybe your file tree will get messy. I note the paths extern, but I don't use daz for that long myself, so I don't know the proper etiquette :D

Reactions: H3S0Y4M and drooopy

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to answer! Daz is an unfamiliar beast right now. It seems pretty intuitive EXCEPT for getting new products into the app manually.

--- if you look for a way to automate it for more than one asset at a time I'm not sure how to do that and would also like to know :D.

--Definitely worth poking around for! The gurus from ModTheSims might have something in their box of goodies. ;)

For basic manual install to just get them into daz there is a tutorial, the main point would be:
---[/QUOTE

===>I think I'm getting there - THANKS!!!<===

Been through a ModTheSims phase. Next came the Illusion Games modding phase. Each one has had its own learning curve - Daz is no different. I'm getting older now and seeing all the tabs is sometimes difficult.

Stupid shit has been known to spew from my face hole from time to time - please be patient with me as the brain hinges are knocked free or rust and the office space in my mind is cleaned up. An old story is stuffed in a dusty, water-stained box:

Chastity was the bratty teen daughter of the boss who - I guess - got left inside the office for the past several yrs while I moved on. Wonder how she's doing? Ya KNOW she's pissed off. And at least 20 by now ---

Working at a robotics facility was fun for a while, but I've made enough to buy myself a little shirt shack on Wistful Vista Beach. Customers won't be an issue - cruise ships visit the island regularly. Between the staff and passengers there's never a dull moment around here.
Gonna need to make money to keep the lights on. Guess step 1 should be to find a spot on the beach and set up business.

That should cover the PC bullshit. The REAL purpose here it to nail anything and everything that sets foot on this beach! Some are looking for a 1 nighter (passengers), friends with benefits and LTR's (crew), and who knows what kind of surprise visitors pop up on a cruise ship, or how long anyone's gonna stay? Will prolly need a pretty complex arrival/departure board early on. Maybe I can sell or gift trackers to these ladies?

I've got enough savings to buy a respectably-sized beach shop and do some pretty extensive plastic surgery. My abs will be copper-toned ripples of panty-melting splendor, the dimples in my ass cheeks will glisten with moonlight reflected from the bay, my penis will instill both fear and wanton abandon in the eyes of the poor female's soul whose guts are about to be rearranged ---
CHRIST ON A BIKE! Save it for narration!

Um, I guess I should make a few panels and use my crap Ren'Py skills to mangle an attempt at this story next!

Last edited:

HeadShott

May 9, 2019
I have a related/ tangent question to this:

As the OP mentioned DL's from Daz go into an Install Manager folder. These zips include Manifest & Supplement .dsx files. As far as I can figure it out these are used in conjunction with DS's Smart Content. My question is this: If I am correct about the use for these .dsx files, can I place my downloads from sources other than Daz which contain them into my Install Manager folder w/o being paranoid about Daz backtracking them through the Manager & accusing me of... stuff (I do have updates turned off in DS). Alternately, can I point DS to my DL archive folder to get the Smrt Content functionality?

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
I wish I had the answers. Sounds like a resident GURU could help the forum out with a good tutorial that covers all this noob stuff. I've been down the road of having assets improperly installed and I don't want to repeat that. Cleanup was always messy too.
I am making progress, so there's always that!