Help-me choosing my game artstyle?

secviolence

Oct 8, 2017
I started drawing a few months ago and recently seeing the quantity and quality of 2d games I decided to try my luck.
I've been training a lot, but you know how the self-critical sense is, right? I will never feel that I am ready and I will always find my drawings shit just like everyone who draws feels about theirs.

So why not ask directly at the source? I read the rules and found nothing against this type of post, but first of all I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules.

The first question would be:
What kind of 2D game most calls your attention?
• A more direct visual novel, just dialogue and scenes.
• A visual novel with exploration, maps and freedom.
• A direct RPG
• An RPG with exploration

Second:
What kind of art would draw your attention the most?
• Something more "realistic", but without animations for the sake of being just one person.
• Something simpler, but with basic animations.

Examples:
"realistic" (unfinished art, I'm drawing at the moment to be accurate):

"cartoon":

And the final question:
How do you feel about the quality, would you play something like that?

Last edited:

Sinfall Studios

Game Developer
May 31, 2020
Of course this is going to differ from person to person, but I think the most important part of any game is player choice, freedom, and ability to influence outcomes. So to answer your first question, any kind of VN or RPG would be fun as long as it incorporates those elements.

On the second question, I think good quality is generally better, but not essential. One of the games that got me interested in adult gaming was Slave Lords of the Galaxy, which is definitely on the lower end of art detail, but done well and with a compelling story and game mechanics. Ultimately, I think you need to work out how much time you have each week/month to make art for your game (once you've done the writing and coding), and then do the best art you can in the time you have available.

secviolence

Oct 8, 2017
Of course this is going to differ from person to person, but I think the most important part of any game is player choice, freedom, and ability to influence outcomes. So to answer your first question, any kind of VN or RPG would be fun as long as it incorporates those elements.

On the second question, I think good quality is generally better, but not essential. One of the games that got me interested in adult gaming was Slave Lords of the Galaxy, which is definitely on the lower end of art detail, but done well and with a compelling story and game mechanics. Ultimately, I think you need to work out how much time you have each week/month to make art for your game (once you've done the writing and coding), and then do the best art you can in the time you have available.
First of all, thanks o/ My problem with the freedom are the grinding aspects. Will think how "easily" bypass that.
I have not seen a SINGLE thing about programming, but if my earlier years playing and trying to make my own RPGMaker still counts on something I do think an RPG would be easier.

About time I don't have this issue because I already do homework as a designer, so basically I have full day to work and this will help-me alot.

I also took a look into your game and I'm gonna play it tonight, looks interesting o/

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I started drawing a few months ago and recently seeing the quantity and quality of 2d games I decided to try my luck.
I've been training a lot, but you know how the self-critical sense is, right? I will never feel that I am ready and I will always find my drawings shit just like everyone who draws feels about theirs.

So why not ask directly at the source? I read the rules and found nothing against this type of post, but first of all I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules.

The first question would be:
What kind of 2D game most calls your attention?
• A more direct visual novel, just dialogue and scenes.
• A visual novel with exploration, maps and freedom.
• A direct RPG
• An RPG with exploration

Second:
What kind of art would draw your attention the most?
• Something more "realistic", but without animations for the sake of being just one person.
• Something simpler, but with basic animations.

Examples:
"realistic" (unfinished art, I'm drawing at the moment to be accurate):

"cartoon":

And the final question:
How do you feel about the quality, would you play something like that?
When it comes to 2D Hand Drawn artwork style, I always enjoy it more when it sticks to the general art style of the artist him/herself... Rather then catering to the audience, I prefer the artist stick to what they like to do, and not worry so much about what people want...

That all being said, if I had to choose between the more 'realistic' and the 2nd ones... I'ld stick with the second ones... When I look at your example of the more 'realistic' one it really doesn't look more realistic then looking more hyper-realistic... With exaggerated skin creases, curves, and shading... Typically when I see artists going with a more hyper-realistic form, they have a tendency to go with bizarre and bigger then real life themes, such as super large breasts, or overly muscular characters, or penises the size of your forearms and just as long, and pretty much all the over-the-top visuals that don't look realistic at all... Not that it's what you plan to do, it's just the tendency I find with most hyper-realistic artwork in this market... Where as the picture of the 3 poses below that, they may be a bit more cartoon in nature, but look more pleasing to the eye... Not going overboard with body proportions, and feeling a bit more natural looking...

I'm sure you will get a multitude of responses on this, because everyone is looking for different things... Different strokes for different folks... I just find that more natural looking visuals, even if they are cartoon style or anime style or 3D models, tend to look more appealing in general... Adds more immersion when what you see is a bit more believable, regardless of style...

Hope that helps...

Zip

Reactions: secviolence

secviolence

Oct 8, 2017
When it comes to 2D Hand Drawn artwork style, I always enjoy it more when it sticks to the general art style of the artist him/herself... Rather then catering to the audience, I prefer the artist stick to what they like to do, and not worry so much about what people want...

That all being said, if I had to choose between the more 'realistic' and the 2nd ones... I'ld stick with the second ones... When I look at your example of the more 'realistic' one it really doesn't look more realistic then looking more hyper-realistic... With exaggerated skin creases, curves, and shading... Typically when I see artists going with a more hyper-realistic form, they have a tendency to go with bizarre and bigger then real life themes, such as super large breasts, or overly muscular characters, or penises the size of your forearms and just as long, and pretty much all the over-the-top visuals that don't look realistic at all... Not that it's what you plan to do, it's just the tendency I find with most hyper-realistic artwork in this market... Where as the picture of the 3 poses below that, they may be a bit more cartoon in nature, but look more pleasing to the eye... Not going overboard with body proportions, and feeling a bit more natural looking...

I'm sure you will get a multitude of responses on this, because everyone is looking for different things... Different strokes for different folks... I just find that more natural looking visuals, even if they are cartoon style or anime style or 3D models, tend to look more appealing in general... Adds more immersion when what you see is a bit more believable, regardless of style...

Hope that helps...

Zip
That helps ALOT! I'll continue to train a bit and maybe post a few designs soon while I code. Thanks.

Reactions: Zippity