Help me identify the art tool/material used

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
A lot of devs tend to use tools, material or even other games to help them create their game's art, especially their characters, and there is a pretty large list on what can be used, like Daz 3D, Kisekae and Koikatsu. I've always toyed with the idea of making my own game, but I will probably never, ever get around to it, purely because my ideas are way too technical for my lack of coding skill, but I still like identifying what was used to create a game's art.

This includes games that Japanese devs make, and there's one particular character art style that is near identical across many different devs, but no amount of searching on google, or translating dev blogs or game descriptions have let me identify what is used.

Anyone able to help identify what is actually used to generate these characters?

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
Well, at first I just didn't see it. I'm not all that familiar with different anime styles and nothing exactly leaped out at me just from looking at that developer's DLsite page. That is, until I noticed that there were two screenshots of different characters with very similar figures and in very similar poses, so I did a quick little animation in GIMP and...

whenyouletyourfriendcopyhomework.gif

After seeing that, I thought the most likely explanation was that you were more or less right on the money - there's some sort of resource out there that these artists are using either outright or as a base to draw on. However, I have no experience with making anime or working with drawing bases, so I had no clue where to even begin looking for what could be the source.

Then I noticed that DLsite has a section just for creator assets, and I thought it would be pretty funny if the answer to your question was right under your nose the whole time, so I dug around there a little and, once again...

allartistssteal.gif

It's a little rougher this time since they were different resolutions. There's also some slight differences in the eyes and outfit, but pay close attention to the frills on the front of the shirt. Exact match.

So in my examples the developer is using an asset called , but I think the answer to your original question is anything by on DLsite.

Reactions: DaBouncer

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
I knew they had to be getting them from somewhere, and I was almost certain it was something DLSite had listed, but I just couldn't find it, even though I knew about the creator assets section. This is definitely what was used, thanks for doing the sleuth work.