Help name my game!

What should I call my hardboiled neo-noir VN?

• Private Dick: Her Lying Lips

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Private Dick: Lying Damn Lips

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Private Dick: Lipstick and Lies

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • These all suck

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Hi! I'm creating a noir-styled adult VN called Private Dick, but I need help adding a subtitle!

You play the role of Sam Steele, a down-on-his-luck private investigator. The game has two storylines: one concerns a ransom and kidnapping, the other concerns an influencer who is trying to get rid of a stalker. Both storylines have strong themes of deceit and deception.

The game is presented in a dark and serious tone, but is funny, with witty dialog and complex, meaningful storylines. Oh and of course there's some great sexy stuff.

The game will be called Private Dick: subtitle, where I'm struggling decide what the subtitle should be! Ideally it should evoke film noir and Ray Chandler novels, like The Big Sleep or Trouble Is My Business.

The subtitle is important because there will be a second game in the series, which is called Private Dick: A Bad Influence.

There's a poll attached with some ideas. Feel free to comment below!

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Private Lipstick: Her Damn Lying Dick

In all seriousness, Private Dick: Damn Lying Lips would probably catch my attention the most. Probably still wouldn't play it though, because VN.

Reactions: cisco_donovan

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Private Lipstick: Her Damn Lying Dick

In all seriousness, Private Dick: Damn Lying Lips would probably catch my attention the most. Probably still wouldn't play it though, because VN.
Appreciate the response! What's the beef with VNs? Do you just like a little more gameplay?

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Appreciate the response! What's the beef with VNs? Do you just like a little more gameplay?
Yeah, I feel uninvolved and restless if all I'm doing is reading text and making the occasional choice. Come to think of it, a noir-type VN could work for me if there's deduction involved in making the choices, LA Noire interrogation-style.

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Yeah, I feel uninvolved and restless if all I'm doing is reading text and making the occasional choice. Come to think of it, a noir-type VN could work for me if there's deduction involved in making the choices, LA Noire interrogation-style.
Yeah sadly there won't be much interactivity. I've thought at lot about adding detective mini-games but that stuff is all so hard and I doubt I'd do a good job. So it is a passive follow-the-story experience.

Saying that, I do hope the story is an order of magnitude more interesting than most VNs

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
I like "Private Dick: Her Lying Lips" best, though I feel there should be a number in there too. For example, "Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride" transmits more information than "DQV," "DQ: Hand of the Heavenly Bride," or "Hand of the Heavenly Bride" would on their own. Even if the series is the kind which doesn't need to be experienced in order, I think it's nice for people to immediately know where the beginning is in case they want to get the whole picture or just prefer starting with the first entry because those tend to be the roughest.

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
I like "Private Dick: Her Lying Lips" best, though I feel there should be a number in there too.
Thanks for the input! You might be right, I'm not sure, but calling it Private Dick 1: Her Lying lips would seem... Odd.

Maybe I'll add numerals when it comes to the second one, but they won't be sequential and I wouldn't expect a big difference in presentation or style. And if there was I'd probably patch it into the first title.

I'll think about it!