Ren'Py Help needed to track a horrible little bug

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
I have the strangest bug happening in my ren'p game

It will take ages to explain it, if I post the code here, could one of you huge brained boffins take a look and help me?
Ive sitting staring at it for hours and I can't see the problem

I cannot make the following error happen in my windows version of the game, it seems to be happening in the android version for some reason, but the weird thing is the audio file plays just fine on other playlists

The traceback is from a user who plays my game on android. (the script and custom_screen are from my windows version

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
The only thing I've looked at so far is the traceback.
But one thing jumps out at me...

Couldn't find file 'audio/Bambi Bimbodoll Conditionning/10 Bambi Awakens.mp3 '.

There is a space on the end of the filename, after the .mp3.

Windows wouldn't care about it. Android would.
I'm guessing it's that.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Couldn't find file 'audio/Bambi Bimbodoll Conditionning/10 Bambi Awakens.mp3 '.

There is a space on the end of the filename, after the .mp3.

Windows wouldn't care about it. Android would.
To extend this, Windows tend to clean any path or file name it is given, by removing all characters that shouldn't be there. But Windows is the only OS doing it, mostly because it's the only OS that effectively have a strict syntax (with illegal characters, but not only) for directory/file names.
Therefore, whenever you get a "file missing" in an OS other than Windows, the first thing to do is to look closely at the path and name of this file. Most of the time, the problem will lie there.

Reactions: Amahl Farouk

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
Thank you my friends! This has indeed fixed the problem. I seriously think I could have looked at the code for a week and not spotted that!