Help! Renpy games freezes on launch.

Baredands

Mar 15, 2018
Hello everyone.
It's the first time i post a thread but for the first time i have a problem i can't solve with Renpy Games.
They just freeze, from the task manager the have the "no response" tag, and admin rights or compatibility options doesn't seem to work.
The worst thing is that i got this problems from a day to another, literally yesterday night i was playing some of the games, and today when i go to open them, they just freeze. Even games that i have installed from months doesn't work anymore.

Please Help!

Jul 22, 2019
Hello everyone.
It's the first time i post a thread but for the first time i have a problem i can't solve with Renpy Games.
They just freeze, from the task manager the have the "no response" tag, and admin rights or compatibility options doesn't seem to work.
The worst thing is that i got this problems from a day to another, literally yesterday night i was playing some of the games, and today when i go to open them, they just freeze. Even games that i have installed from months doesn't work anymore.

Please Help!
I'm having this same problem now with Holiday Island. Did you find a solution?

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
Probably a dead thread, but if someone stumbles upon it, I think I might have a solution for this.

Recently a fellow game developer asked me to give feedback on his game and I couldn't play it because after a few scenes it began freezing. None of the other testers experienced this, so I thought it might be an incompatibility issue with RenPy and the drivers on my system - a laptop with both Intel integrated graphics and nVidia 1050ti. RenPy logs said that it was running on the integrated Intel 630 graphics, so I right clicked on the .exe file and chose to run the game on the "high performance" nVidia 1050ti. The freezing was gone, so if anyone is running a similar system and is experiencing a similar issue - try running the game on the discrete GPU.

FyreDrak

Feb 22, 2019
Probably a dead thread, but if someone stumbles upon it, I think I might have a solution for this.

Recently a fellow game developer asked me to give feedback on his game and I couldn't play it because after a few scenes it began freezing. None of the other testers experienced this, so I thought it might be an incompatibility issue with RenPy and the drivers on my system - a laptop with both Intel integrated graphics and nVidia 1050ti. RenPy logs said that it was running on the integrated Intel 630 graphics, so I right clicked on the .exe file and chose to run the game on the "high performance" nVidia 1050ti. The freezing was gone, so if anyone is running a similar system and is experiencing a similar issue - try running the game on the discrete GPU.
So, here much later, I've come across the same issue you mentioned for several games where after a few scenes, the game starts freezing. However, it doesn't happen on every game. There games with an earlier version working fine, then the later version has this problem. This computer is a littler older at a couple years, and uses Intel 620 Graphics. Is this something I can find a work around, or do I just have to get a different graphics card?

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
So, here much later, I've come across the same issue you mentioned for several games where after a few scenes, the game starts freezing. However, it doesn't happen on every game. There games with an earlier version working fine, then the later version has this problem. This computer is a littler older at a couple years, and uses Intel 620 Graphics. Is this something I can find a work around, or do I just have to get a different graphics card?
No idea whatsoever. It was just something I tried and it worked for me. My Intel card is 630 and I also see the issue in just some of the games (not that I have much time to play since I started making my own). It helps for me to launch the problematic games on my nVidia GPU, but if you don't have a discrete GPU I have no idea what else to do. Sorry.

frepyou

Aug 4, 2018
No idea whatsoever. It was just something I tried and it worked for me. My Intel card is 630 and I also see the issue in just some of the games (not that I have much time to play since I started making my own). It helps for me to launch the problematic games on my nVidia GPU, but if you don't have a discrete GPU I have no idea what else to do. Sorry.
started having this issue myself
was working fine yesterday
then i updated my graphics card and tada fuck you renpy lol
no clue what a discrete gpu is so i am screwed