Help with 3delight

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
After some days tinkering with daz, unfortunately i found out that my pc is lame when it comes to rendering, well, it took me kinda by surprise cause i'm a photographer and edit a bunch of high resolution images with this pc, well, shit happens. So, would anyone be so kind as to help me make my 3delight renders look pretty? With Iray i kinda got that "Dreams of Desire" level of detail, is it possible to achieve this with 3delight?

Sorry to keep posting shit like this, but i swear it's because i wanna make a cool VN so you guys (and i) can enjoy a different story from the ones i find here! :p

Lt. Aldo Raine

Sharing Is Caring
Donor
Former Staff
Mar 24, 2017
They are two completely different render engines. One baised (3delight) one unbiased (iray) so to answer you bluntly. No 3delight can't achieve the same results as Iray. But you can get them looking pretty good. Its all about lighting and subsurface scattering.

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
They are two completely different render engines. One baised (3delight) one unbiased (iray) so to answer you bluntly. No 3delight can't achieve the same results as Iray. But you can get them looking pretty good. Its all about lighting and subsurface scattering.
Damn, I expected as much :/

Oh, well, i gues the first game never goes like we imagine anyway, what GPU you would recommend me to buy so I can get good performance with iray? should I buy more RAM too?

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
What computer specs do you have?

For regular RAM, most recommend at least 16GB, at a decent speed.

For GPU VRAM, the more you have the better - something with 8+ GB would be good. I recommend one of the following (the newer the architecture the better, I recommend checking out benchmarks to see which one is best for your price range)

1060(6GB variant), 980ti, 1070, 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti, Titan X Black, Titan X(Maxwell), Titan Xp, Titan XP

All of these have at least 6GB and are fairly powerful by todays standards. If a 1060 (the cheapest of the bunch) is a little bit out of your price range, you can fall back to some less powerful cards. Stick away from AMD, it doesn't play well with Iray.

970, 980, 1050ti, 1060(3GB variant), 780ti

These ones should be a bit cheaper.

Reactions: Psych0_

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
I would suggest against buying a video card right this exact second. The crypto bubble has completely fucked up the value of any decent video card. Give it a month or two AND FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK DON'T BUY SECOND HAND.

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
I would suggest against buying a video card right this exact second. The crypto bubble has completely fucked up the value of any decent video card. Give it a month or two AND FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK DON'T BUY SECOND HAND.
Well, im brazilian, and the prices here are always fucked up, but i don't have the money right now anyways.

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
What computer specs do you have?

For regular RAM, most recommend at least 16GB, at a decent speed.

For GPU VRAM, the more you have the better - something with 8+ GB would be good. I recommend one of the following (the newer the architecture the better, I recommend checking out benchmarks to see which one is best for your price range)

1060(6GB variant), 980ti, 1070, 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti, Titan X Black, Titan X(Maxwell), Titan Xp, Titan XP

All of these have at least 6GB and are fairly powerful by todays standards. If a 1060 (the cheapest of the bunch) is a little bit out of your price range, you can fall back to some less powerful cards. Stick away from AMD, it doesn't play well with Iray.

970, 980, 1050ti, 1060(3GB variant), 780ti

These ones should be a bit cheaper.
My pc is shitty, i gues all i have is an idea and no means to make it work

mor joc

Nov 15, 2017
My pc is shitty, i gues all i have is an idea and no means to make it work
Well, you can get pretty good renders with 3delight.

For humans Just get a premium model with good 3delight shader(most popular daz modes have one). Apply that shader to your model. Go to that model's shader settings set all velvet sliders to 0. Go to render settings turn gamma correction on and set the slider to 2.2. Add some proper lights(see this ) Now your models will come out 10 times better and you can play with subsurface settings in shaders to get closer to iray.

For other props, good lighting is all that is needed. If you want you can add ubersurface to them.

Reactions: Psych0_

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read that IRAY renders are heavily dependent upon "cuda cores". This site seems to have a listing of cards and the amount of cuda cores each have.

Which is why alot of people tend to recommend the GTX 980 TI. with 6gb vram, and more cuda cores than alot of cards it seems to be the best bang for your buck.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read DAZ utilizes the VRAM more for the live aspects, moving things around, and having numerous models and stuff going on at once, where as the cuda cores are more used with actual rendering and live previews. But I could be wrong and confusing that for regular cpu type RAM.

I personally have the GTX 980 TI and I thought it was pretty slow, but I'm still a noob and realized it was doing double of what alot of other cards do.

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read that IRAY renders are heavily dependent upon "cuda cores". This site seems to have a listing of cards and the amount of cuda cores each have.

Which is why alot of people tend to recommend the GTX 980 TI. with 6gb vram, and more cuda cores than alot of cards it seems to be the best bang for your buck.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read DAZ utilizes the VRAM more for the live aspects, moving things around, and having numerous models and stuff going on at once, where as the cuda cores are more used with actual rendering and live previews. But I could be wrong and confusing that for regular cpu type RAM.

I personally have the GTX 980 TI and I thought it was pretty slow, but I'm still a noob and realized it was doing double of what alot of other cards do.
You shouldn't use that list as an indicator for anything. When it comes to GPUs, you can't use the amount of CUDA cores as a way to determine the speed of a card, especially across different architectures. The same is true for CPUs, you cannot use the GHz to determine the speed of a chip.

The Titan XP demolishes everything in that list. Hell, even the regular 1080 handily outperforms everything else on the list, except for the 1080ti and Titan XP, despite being in 10th place by CUDA cores. CUDA is important, but it's not the only relevant factor.

Reactions: uhohitsuhoh

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Cuda Core and speed are two big things with Iray would stick to the newer arcs though anything in a Pascal/ GTX 1000 Series is good 1080ti is just a Titan XP with slower memory and a few Cuda cores disabled. Although you can get an XP cheaper than a 1080ti right now through Nvidia's site.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
Cuda Core and speed are two big things with Iray would stick to the newer arcs though anything in a Pascal/ GTX 1000 Series is good 1080ti is just a Titan XP with slower memory and a few Cuda cores disabled. Although you can get an XP cheaper than a 1080ti right now through Nvidia's site.
The GPU market is totally fucked right now. You can buy a full system with a 1080ti for ~1800 bucks, but if you try to buy a 1080ti by itself you'll pay ~1200-1400.

If you need a GPU for rendering I can only recommend buying a new, complete system. (Even though I would typically recommend against it).