Help with a game prototype

sorcierlegrand

Feb 21, 2018
I just finished the basic game loop and interactions on my game and I need some help testing this first version, there's no content yet, is just a barebones test.

The problem is, in the engine that I'm using (Godot) I can generate Windows and Mac executables but I have no way of testing them (reliably, wine is not that good for this), I code on Linux, so if anyone games on windows (7 and over) or Mac could you download this little file and just let me know if it runs properly? If you run linux, a little info on the distro would be helpful too.
You can run a antivirus on the file, there's nothing there.

I'm specially interested if the controllers out there work, but any other bugs that you may find you can throw in this thread too.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Windows 7 (the true master race :p ) : Works (I did the mission! :D)
Mouse and Keyboard (Virtual Keys): Works
Steam Controller (for those of us who still have it): Works
Xbox 360 Wired controller: Works? (Could not turn camera) Edit Works
Xbox X Wireless controller: Works? (Could not turn camera) Edit Works

Things of note:

I game at a 1440p resolution: The game and the UI scaled correctly (menu buttons, credits button, dialog box), the only issue was the title screen and credits art piece, they did not scale with the screen, and stayed at the top left (0, 0) corner.

Sensitivity: For all the controllers, it was perfect, but oddly for my mouse, it was a bit high, I was constantly overshooting (if I wanted to look at someone I would whip past them and have to wobble my mouse back onto the target). I'm at a moderately ok (maybe a bit high for most) raw DPI mouse sensitivity of 1800 dpi, so if you are getting it raw from the mouse that may explain it a bit. If however, you are getting from windows OS (most likely, with windows poor polling input technique, I think its an issue with all window programs), I don't know if it gets scaled by windows mouse settings, which I also have a bit high (I don't like to move my whole hand just to get across the big fancy screen, I like to be lazy). I've also seen games where they can't scale to 1440p so they are smaller, and as a result, moving the mouse tends to get scaled up and acts a lot more sensitive, this didn't seem to be the case as the graphics scaled just fine to 1440p, but I thought I would bring it up if it turns out I am the only one who experienced this, it may be my screen size.

Steam Controller, Using games outside the Steam Big Picture mode, the controller defaults to a type of computer mode, kinda like a mouse and WASD setup or something, but whatever setting it was in, it worked.

One issue: my keyboard is a bit messed up, spilt stuff on it, I cleaned it up, had to relubricate stuff, and now the keys tend to have an issue registering (stuff is on the metal contacts). I was using the space bar to progress dialog, and when I was talking to the library npc, I am not sure if it was my keyboard double pressing, but the conversation would start again I didn't have this issue with the steam controller, but when I used the xbox controller the issue was worst, every conversation would repeat when I finished the dialog, I could even turn around and move away for a moment and then the dialog would pop back up. I just assume that the issue is that it is very easy to trigger the dialog, if the button to continue is pressed to end the dialog, and is still being pressed by the time the game checks again to see if you want to start the dialog it starts it again. So you may need to add a way to either check if the button has already been used, or only check (C# trigger event) when the button goes from released to pressed only.

Virtual Keys: I mention these, because I like it when I see people use these. So they tend to be more of a windows thing, but most operating systems have something equivalent. Virtual keys, or virtual key codes, is how you can check (with windows) which keys have been pressed. Specifically, this means which PHYSICAL key has been pressed. If I press the W key to move forward, I move forward. However, What if I type in Dvorak (which I do), what happens is that windows reads the Virtual Keys, and then through it language system converts the keys into something else, So pressing w on my keyboard is just the comma sign ",", so when typing, you want to make sure you are getting key's or letters through the OS language system (was not able to test this), but general game system keys through the virtual key system. Some programs such as Gimp don't use virtual keys for hotkeys so it gets really annoying trying to use GIMP because I have to remember which key is which ( "i" would be the "G" key so I could invert my selection), but for programs like blender, things work as they should, ctrl+z undoes. where z is my ' key.

Last edited:

sorcierlegrand

Feb 21, 2018
Windows 7 (the true master race :p ) : Works (I did the mission! :D)
Mouse and Keyboard (Virtual Keys): Works
Steam Controller (for those of us who still have it): Works
Xbox 360 Wired controller: Works? (Could not turn camera)
Xbox X Wireless controller: Works? (Could not turn camera)

Things of note:

I game at a 1440p resolution: The game and the UI scaled correctly (menu buttons, credits button, dialog box), the only issue was the title screen and credits art piece, they did not scale with the screen, and stayed at the top left (0, 0) corner.

Sensitivity: For all the controllers, it was perfect, but oddly for my mouse, it was a bit high, I was constantly overshooting (if I wanted to look at someone I would whip past them and have to wobble my mouse back onto the target). I'm at a moderately ok (maybe a bit high for most) raw DPI mouse sensitivity of 1800 dpi, so if you are getting it raw from the mouse that may explain it a bit. If however, you are getting from windows OS (most likely, with windows poor polling input technique, I think its an issue with all window programs), I don't know if it gets scaled by windows mouse settings, which I also have a bit high (I don't like to move my whole hand just to get across the big fancy screen, I like to be lazy). I've also seen games where they can't scale to 1440p so they are smaller, and as a result, moving the mouse tends to get scaled up and acts a lot more sensitive, this didn't seem to be the case as the graphics scaled just fine to 1440p, but I thought I would bring it up if it turns out I am the only one who experienced this, it may be my screen size.

Steam Controller, Using games outside the Steam Big Picture mode, the controller defaults to a type of computer mode, kinda like a mouse and WASD setup or something, but whatever setting it was in, it worked.

One issue: my keyboard is a bit messed up, spilt stuff on it, I cleaned it up, had to relubricate stuff, and now the keys tend to have an issue registering (stuff is on the metal contacts). I was using the space bar to progress dialog, and when I was talking to the library npc, I am not sure if it was my keyboard double pressing, but the conversation would start again I didn't have this issue with the steam controller, but when I used the xbox controller the issue was worst, every conversation would repeat when I finished the dialog, I could even turn around and move away for a moment and then the dialog would pop back up. I just assume that the issue is that it is very easy to trigger the dialog, if the button to continue is pressed to end the dialog, and is still being pressed by the time the game checks again to see if you want to start the dialog it starts it again. So you may need to add a way to either check if the button has already been used, or only check (C# trigger event) when the button goes from released to pressed only.

Virtual Keys: I mention these, because I like it when I see people use these. So they tend to be more of a windows thing, but most operating systems have something equivalent. Virtual keys, or virtual key codes, is how you can check (with windows) which keys have been pressed. Specifically, this means which PHYSICAL key has been pressed. If I press the W key to move forward, I move forward. However, What if I type in Dvorak (which I do), what happens is that windows reads the Virtual Keys, and then through it language system converts the keys into something else, So pressing w on my keyboard is just the comma sign ",", so when typing, you want to make sure you are getting key's or letters through the OS language system (was not able to test this), but general game system keys through the virtual key system. Some programs such as Gimp don't use virtual keys for hotkeys so it gets really annoying trying to use GIMP because I have to remember which key is which (i would be the G key so I could invert my selection), but for programs like blender, things work as they should, ctrl+z undoes. where z is my ' key.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
I'll work on the mouse sensitivity and the double triggering of the dialogs. The virtual keyboard, I'm not gonna lie, didn't even think about it, I'll have to research a little around to even understand where to start to make this work on 3 OSes.
On the gamepad not turning the camera, have you tried L1 and R1? It's mapped by default to those, if you tried and still doesn't work, well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your help.