[S> Other] [S>Artist 3D] Help with Denoising your 3D work!

3DK-x

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
Skills:
- 3D Art
- Comic Creation
- Image clearing (quality increase imo)

Preferred method of contact:
- f95 DM is fine.

Employment Type & Rates:
- Not after any amount of money tbh; but if you want to send me a lot of images over to do, I will charge some sort of payment as it will take longer.

Availability:
- Available at some point every day. For the next two weeks it's all day and then it's from around 4-9pm (GMT) daily.

Work Samples:
- If you're interested, send me an image(s) through DM and I'll show you what I can do with them. That's the best way for me to give an example. I'll attach two of my own to show difference. NOTE: There's not much difference on this particular image due to it already having post work, but check out the details on her face and you'll see the clearing. Works on heavier noised scenes just as well.

Additional comments:
I'm in this to help out artists; no strings attached, unless you've got a lot you want me to do (y). I play several Ren'py games from here and some people could really benefit from my help, so why not offer it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
You should probably attach pics that show a bigger difference. I can't see it, and I kept toggling back and forth.

Maybe some really obsessive dev will be interested in this but as someone who plays a lot of games, I can't even perceive the improvement.

Reactions: RStar8

3DK-x

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
You should probably attach pics that show a bigger difference. I can't see it, and I kept toggling back and forth.

Maybe some really obsessive dev will be interested in this but as someone who plays a lot of games, I can't even perceive the improvement.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll sort something out today to make it clearer as to what I mean.

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
You are not increasing the quality, you are doing the opposite. For a noisy picture with just an environment it will look somewhat better (very debatable), but for a character, you will lose a lot of data and by consequence most of the details. Case and point your own examples.

Reactions: Y.Gromov

3DK-x

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
You are not increasing the quality, you are doing the opposite. For a noisy picture with just an environment it will look somewhat better (very debatable), but for a character, you will lose a lot of data and by consequence most of the details. Case and point your own examples.
Yeah I agree if you only do a short-timed render, you're going to lose a shit ton of data because it never existed. If you render a scene for over 3 hours for example, then run it through this filter you're not losing any of the details that were rendered originally in my opinion. It's just clearing the noise left behind especially in the case of when two different lighting factors come into play (personally think it works best). At the end of the day if you've got a rig which is powerful enough to render scenes cleanly, then this shouldn't be an option for you. I'm simply pointing out an alternative for people who's PC's might not be able to render extensive scenes well.

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah I agree if you only do a short-timed render, you're going to lose a shit ton of data because it never existed. If you render a scene for over 3 hours for example, then run it through this filter you're not losing any of the details that were rendered originally in my opinion. It's just clearing the noise left behind especially in the case of when two different lighting factors come into play (personally think it works best). At the end of the day if you've got a rig which is powerful enough to render scenes cleanly, then this shouldn't be an option for you. I'm simply pointing out an alternative for people who's PC's might not be able to render extensive scenes well.
It doesn't matter how much time you spend on rendering, if you use a denoiser afterwards you loose data. Your two files very clearly demonstrate that. Now the important question is what exactly you are comfortable loosing.

Like I said before, loosing some environmental details, especially in the dark areas of your render is fine. Of course if that area is not the center of attention. But if you have a character in your render, you'll most certainly loose most of the details from bump and normal maps.

With all that said, in the end if you like what you get as a final result, then go for it.

• Angry

3DK-x

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
It doesn't matter how much time you spend on rendering, if you use a denoiser afterwards you loose data. Your two files very clearly demonstrate that. Now the important question is what exactly you are comfortable loosing.

Like I said before, loosing some environmental details, especially in the dark areas of your render is fine. Of course if that area is not the center of attention. But if you have a character in your render, you'll most certainly loose most of the details from bump and normal maps.

With all that said, in the end if you like what you get as a final result, then go for it.
I guess quality increase is the wrong terminology really. I just find it to look a lot more cleaner once it's gone through a denoise filter. I guess like you said yourself, if you like the final result then it's something you should do. My OP was simply offering a helping hand to anybody who wanted it.

I just prefer the cleaner look, which I guess is just reinforcing the idea that's it's all down to an Artists preference for example below:

90 Minute Render Time (I'll be continuing rendering for a little longer before I run it through the filter, but I still kind of prefer the denoised version now.)

Old:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

New:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
Well, the examples you provided illustrate exactly what I was talking about. The amount of details lost after denoising is just staggering.

What you call cleaner, I'd call it depraved from life. In the default render the characters have well define textures and depth to them, standing out to draw attention to themselves. Our brains love that sort of thing. The one after just removed all of that, made it look uniform and plastic in nature. It's actually a pain to look at.

Then again, if you want to go for that particular style, I'm not going to stop you.

• Angry

3DK-x

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
Well, the examples you provided illustrate exactly what I was talking about. The amount of details lost after denoising is just staggering.

What you call cleaner, I'd call it depraved from life. In the default render the characters have well define textures and depth to them, standing out to draw attention to themselves. Our brains love that sort of thing. The one after just removed all of that, made it look uniform and plastic in nature. It's actually a pain to look at.

Then again, if you want to go for that particular style, I'm not going to stop you.

Fair enough. I'm happy to get other artists opinions on such things. Gave me something to think about which I've obviously overlooked.

Thanks for your input, man.

Reactions: Powerbabe