Daz Help with mcjAutoLimb and mcjKeepOrient

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
So I'm trying topull off this fairly simple sex animation in DAZ. I've got 50 frame set up in the timeline, and I'm trying to do a simple humping movement for my male character. I'd like to have the scene include his feet on the floor. As we all know, animating is not the easiest in DAZ, but I found these scripts that many has been recommending both here on f95 and other places.

mCausal's AutoLimb and KeepOrient

But for the life of me, I cant get them to work. I click on one foot/both feet and run the script. It creates a node on the foot, and it seems like it's running as it's supposed to, but when I then move my character on another key frame the foot still moves up or down on the keyframes in between. I've tried both Play range and Animation range 0-50.

Have a misunderstood what the script does? Is there any kind soul who could explain what I am doing wrong, or how they make it work?

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
I didn't use those scripts alot, but they were made before the addition of Ik Chains, and those make movements like you described much easier to manage. They still may need some tweaking, but they allow to pin/move the limbs in a relatively reaslistic way (strictly obeying the limits of bend/twist/etc of the bones, even when turned off unfortunatly).
This can be done with posing and manually pinning, posing, etc, as no__name said, and that's what those mcscripts do, with some nulls and some maths. But I know Ik Chains more.

So if you would like to try a different way to achieve that animation, check the guide below. Here is an example first:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
I didn't use those scripts alot, but they were made before the addition of Ik Chains, and those make movements like you described much easier to manage. They still may need some tweaking, but they allow to pin/move the limbs in a relatively reaslistic way (strictly obeying the limits of bend/twist/etc of the bones, even when turned off unfortunatly).
This can be done with posing and manually pinning, posing, etc, as no__name said, and that's what those mcscripts do, with some nulls and some maths. But I know Ik Chains more.

So if you would like to try a different way to achieve that animation, check the guide below. Here is an example first:

Alright you definitely got me intrigued.. That animation you made is just what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try! Thank you so so much

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Have a misunderstood what the script does? Is there any kind soul who could explain what I am doing wrong, or how they make it work?
As far as "autolimb" goes, it works just fine, within it's limitations. First, make sure you're using the up-to-date version (there are two, and the older one doesn't work with newer figures). What mcjAutoLimb will do is attempt to keep a foot or a hand positioned at wherever the target is set. Obviously, it only works if the hand or foot can actually reach there. It will also work with a moving target - if you use the script to create a target in the first frame, then attach the target to something that moves, you can then make the hand/foot track the item that moves.

"keepOrient" does what it says - it fixes the orientation of the hand/foot. So, typically, you'd run this AFTER you'd used mcjAutoLimb to fix the hand/foot in place, and now want it to stop rotating.

As for what you're doing wrong, I have no idea without further information - I've used them to great success.

Reactions: Madmanator99

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017

First of all, let me just say that your post here is about 50% of all the information on IK chains that's out on internet. Thank you so much for such an amazing reply. However, unfortunately I wasn't able to do what I wanted. The other 50% information is on this page .
I tried and tried for hours, but no matter what I did, some limb would go completely wacky on me. I have a feeling it has to do with some limb not being locked, or limitless, or not pinned down. I must say I am impressed you got it to work for you, in such a short time. Maybe I'll revisit IK chains at a later time. Again, thank you so much!
As far as "autolimb" goes, it works just fine, within it's limitations. First, make sure you're using the up-to-date version (there are two, and the older one doesn't work with newer figures). What mcjAutoLimb will do is attempt to keep a foot or a hand positioned at wherever the target is set. Obviously, it only works if the hand or foot can actually reach there. It will also work with a moving target - if you use the script to create a target in the first frame, then attach the target to something that moves, you can then make the hand/foot track the item that moves.

"keepOrient" does what it says - it fixes the orientation of the hand/foot. So, typically, you'd run this AFTER you'd used mcjAutoLimb to fix the hand/foot in place, and now want it to stop rotating.

As for what you're doing wrong, I have no idea without further information - I've used them to great success.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I had the 2014 verson.
Also, my dumb ass couldn't follow instructions properly, and I was running the script first, and then changed my poses, so nothing really worked out the way it was supposed to.

After some tinkering, I am super impressed by the script. I have a question though: I found this photo, and it shows a script version with autolimb and KeepOrient combined. I haven't been able to find that script anywhere, even on his own website. Any chance you've got it? But I guess it's not the end of the world to have them separate...

Thank you for your help. Also, I believe I heard about the script on another thread where you posted, so thank you for that as well. mcjauto.png

Reactions: Madmanator99