• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

Help with starting a game

kingmanu1001

Jul 2, 2018
Hello there,
I wanted to start a game of my own for a few years now, but I never really got into it. I'm a good story writer and I already have an idea for a good story with one or the other h scenes :)

This is why I'm asking you guys (and girls -> I'm not preoccupied) who already made a game of this kind, where I should start. I have already decided that it should be based around renpy style games like Melody or DMD, but that's pretty much it. So to start, which programms are best for 3d art? I looked at Daz3D but it wasn't exactly my sort. And next, I'm pretty good with programming, I know the basics and more and am always ready to learn further, but I don't know which programm to take and how to continue from there. Could you help me with that all?

Thanks in advance

kingmanu

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If you know the basics of programming, Renpy will be easier, especially if you know python for advanced programming.

And for Daz, may seem complicated at the beginning but learning curve is good. Start doing tests with a basic model and so you will know later what you may need.
When you have become familiar with basic operation you can improve on the important aspects.
Start watching the tutorials that may be on youtube, and when you have a specific problem you can ask here, there are always people willing to help.
You can also check the forum, these types of questions have already been asked and in some threats there is very good information.

And speaking of Daz, what kind of machine do you have? cause it's important to have a powerful one for renders.

kingmanu1001

Jul 2, 2018
Hi mgomez,
thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have some experience with python and I think my computer is good enough for 3d rendering. I have a four double-core processor with four doubles chained in reserve and a GTX 1060 3gb with Win32. I'm already looking at a few tutorials, but they didn't really help, though I got help offered shortly.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Well, I see two problems with your machine:
- Win32 limits RAM to 3,5GB and Daz needs a lot of RAM. 8GB minimum, 16GB recommended.
- Daz loads scene into VRAM for render with your graphics card, if scene doesn't fit in VRAM then uses CPU render, which is a lot more slower (This is if you will work with Iray render engine, if you will use 3DLight then processor is most important). 3GB of VRAM it's small, I recommend 6GB minimum (1060 6GB version), 1070Ti with 8GB will be better and 1080Ti with 11GB will be fantastic... also take a look at new generation 20xx Nvidia graphics cards.

And for some help about making a game, look at this:

kingmanu1001

Jul 2, 2018
Hello there again,

thank you all for your replies. It helped a lot with starting up and I already found someone willing to make the art for me. The links are very helpful and give a good overview. Thanks!