Ren'Py help with the creation of my graphic novel

Albertant

Nov 18, 2018
help with the creation of my graphic novel:HideThePain:
hello to all of you who are reading this!
I want to start making an erotic graphic novel, I have the idea of a story more or less...
but what I'm not clear about is how I should start the first update.
I'm going to explain this
what locations should I create in a map? all of them? just a couple? the main house, the park and the school for example?
how many characters do you recommend me to introduce at the beginning?
thanks to those of you who answer
by the way you can also tell me which female characters you would like to see, I have clear the male ones but I accept ideas.
a hug to all of you and thank you

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Hey there - welcome to the 'Steep Climb' :)

In my opinion 'coherent storytelling' is the guiding principle at any point in the creation of a VN. If your MC or other characters need to be at a certain location... you need to have that location in the update.

For example, If your 'first update' plays out at home, in school and on a bus-ride... you're going to need a home, a school and maybe a bus-ride as existing locations. The fact that later in your story you might need a supermarket, a gym, and a brothel isn't relevant to your 'first update'. You will add them in the later updates.

As to how many characters do you need in the beginning... again, it's determined by what your story needs.

But there's a reason why so many VN's start in a hospital bed or someplace else where there's a minimal number of characters. Reducing the amount of characters in your scene makes for easier/faster writing and helps keep your narrative simple for your reader/viewer who has no knowledge yet of your story's world. Also, you will have less headaches with creating/rendering your visual assets if you don't need a lot of them, or very complicated ones.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Albertant

Albertant

Nov 18, 2018
Hey there - welcome to the 'Steep Climb' :)

In my opinion 'coherent storytelling' is the guiding principle at any point in the creation of a VN. If your MC or other characters need to be at a certain location... you need to have that location in the update.

For example, If your 'first update' plays out at home, in school and on a bus-ride... you're going to need a home, a school and maybe a bus-ride as existing locations. The fact that later in your story you might need a supermarket, a gym, and a brothel isn't relevant to your 'first update'. You will add them in the later updates.

As to how many characters do you need in the beginning... again, it's determined by what your story needs.

But there's a reason why so many VN's start in a hospital bed or someplace else where there's a minimal number of characters. Reducing the amount of characters in your scene makes for easier/faster writing and helps keep your narrative simple for your reader/viewer who has no knowledge yet of your story's world. Also, you will have less headaches with creating/rendering your visual assets if you don't need a lot of them, or very complicated ones.

Best of luck!
of course, my idea is to create a visual novel summertime saga style, i would draw everything completely, i already have the story , the characters too, and the locations, for the first update i will make the main character, the friend, the friend's sister, the friend's mother, the neighbor and a couple of erotic situations.
the locations: the park (with their characters), the main house and the backyard I think it will be more than enough for a teaser.
10 minutes of gameplay.
thank you for your response :lepew: