Ren'Py Help with Translation Support for the game Out of Touch!

cylider11

Apr 21, 2023
Me interesa saber como puedo traducir Out of Touch! al español u otros idiomas, por lo que necesito de su apoyo para brindar información de cómo lograrlo y así poder aportar con ustedes más experiencia en el juego.:cool::cool:

I am interested in knowing how I can translate Out of Touch! into Spanish or other languages, so I need your support to provide information on how to achieve it and thus be able to contribute with you more experience in the game. :cool::cool:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
For anyone thinking of replying... the game is probably:
https://f95zone.to/threads/out-of-touch-v2-68-5-story-anon.67494/

Written in Unity, not RenPy.

There is already a Russian translation:
https://f95zone.to/threads/out-of-touch-russian-translation-2-63-whitepolarfoxxx.118855/

(You might want to try reaching out to the author of that mod to ask how they did it).
cylider11

A previous Unity game I have translated (https://f95zone.to/posts/9219946/) started with a Unity plugin called "Bepin Ex". This does MTL translation (machine translation) of game text strings and writes to a local file, which you can then come back and manually edit until you fix the MTL poetry to an acceptable level.

That game was in Japanese and the MTL tools don't do a very good job due to the "high context" style of the source language (i.e. you can only know from context if "Pan" in katakana means "a slapping sound like hips pounding on buttocks during doggy style" or "Bread"). (Lol)

Going from English to Portuguese with MTL might work better as the two languages are more closely related (although the lack of gender in English would probably result in various problems).

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] with a Unity plugin called "Bepin Ex". This does MTL translation (machine translation) of game text strings and writes to a local file, which you can then come back and manually edit until you fix the MTL poetry to an acceptable level.

Just because they're an obvious couple of follow up questions...
  • Once you've edited the local file and finished your translation... how do you get that data back into the game in a way that the game will play using the updated translation?

• How much do you need to worry about the length of the original text verses the new translated text?
    (I'm thinking of buttons, etc that might say "Hi" and the translation is "Greetings" - where the translation is too big or too small for the area defined within Unity).
... Not that I'm ever going to translate a game... nevermind a Unity game. But I like asking questions that someone else might need to know the answer to.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
  • Once you've edited the local file and finished your translation... how do you get that data back into the game in a way that the game will play using the updated translation?

• How much do you need to worry about the length of the original text verses the new translated text?
    (I'm thinking of buttons, etc that might say "Hi" and the translation is "Greetings" - where the translation is too big or too small for the area definited within Unity).
re: putting the translation back into the game
The game will always need bepinex to do the realtime string replacement. It just works faster than you can notice if all the translation strings are already "cached" in the local text file.
AFAIK there i no way to add a translation back into the original game files. Bepinex works by intercepting the relevant method calls in unity C# code and substitutes the translated string into the buffer just before display. It doesn't modify the game code itself.
BepinEx will pickup any files in the relevant folder (<game root>\BepInEx\Translation\en\Text) and look to match the "source" strings, and the replace the in game text with the string after the "=" symbol. It looks like this:
Code:
残りハート=Remaining hearts
千田 美音=Mion Chida
絶頂=Climax
To give someone else the manual translation, you include it in the game archive in the "BepInEx\Translation\en\Text" folder (or just provide the text file with instructions on where to put it.

re: test length/display size
Depending on the game, the length of text can be an issue. It's possible to configure bepinex to shrink the font size so the new string is shown no longer than the original. But that obviously has limits before it becomes unreadable.
I found it was not often an issue with the story text as the dialogue box was generally large enough. However, UI buttons and similar were sometimes a real challenge to find translations that would fit.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 79flavors