Here's my render, how can make it better ?

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Hello !
So in the scene i just used a hdri
and 2 spot lights who point directly (front, and side) of my genesis
1 layer with the background (blurry) 1 front layer with the genesis
Here's the results, im ok with it, but i would like to ear your opinion
and if you could help to make it better maybe :)
If you're experienced with the subject im all ears !

Thanks for your time and take care !

Last edited:
Reactions: Dvvalin

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
Looks good, but I'm not a fan of fake-lights. I'd try to keep it as natural as possible.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Don't point a light directly into the front of the face, move it around on angle. Refer to my highly detail pic.
Untitled-1.jpg

Play around until you get the angle that suits you. You will get shadows falling across the face, makes them look more 3d and less flat.

Note to everyone - I know this is a pirate sight, but please respect the time and effort I put into that illustration, if you do use it anywhere credit would be nice.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It looks good, especially if you're new to Daz.

One big problem I see is a lot of light damage happening. Mostly due to the spotlight in in front of her. You have an HDRI already, so let it do it's job. Dull down the spotlight and bring it to her left side and perhaps brighten the hdri some more. So, then you get both the look of daylight and the kitchen/indoor light still faintly hitting her from the front while the indoor light helps create something of a backlight, which would essentially turn it into pseudo three-point lighting. Just to echo what mickydoo said:

Untitled.png

Three point lighting is more or less made up of a key, fill, and back light. The key will usually point down on your character from (typical) 45 degree angle, and should be quite bright. The fill is the same (just duplicate the key light and dim it down), just from the right side and a good bit dimmer, to the point a viewer shouldn't know it's there, but enough to soften the hardness created by the key. The back light should be the brightest with a lowered spread angle to create something of a rim along the hair/arms/shoulders, depending on your angle and the look you're going for. Like so:

tpl1.png

The depth of field is nice, as well. Just turn down the spotlight and bring it to the left and you have yourself a pretty good render.

Reactions: jufot

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
I think you'd get more responses if you posted here
Nice thanks you !

Don't point a light directly into the front of the face, move it around on angle. Refer to my highly detail pic.
View attachment 1343911

Play around until you get the angle that suits you. You will get shadows falling across the face, makes them look more 3d and less flat.

Note to everyone - I know this is a pirate sight, but please respect the time and effort I put into that illustration, if you do use it anywhere credit would be nice.
Oh ok thanks for the tips, i was always putting the light in front of the face :/, and your illustration is great !

It looks good, especially if you're new to Daz.

One big problem I see is a lot of light damage happening. Mostly due to the spotlight in in front of her. You have an HDRI already, so let it do it's job. Dull down the spotlight and bring it to her left side and perhaps brighten the hdri some more. So, then you get both the look of daylight and the kitchen/indoor light still faintly hitting her from the front while the indoor light helps create something of a backlight, which would essentially turn it into pseudo three-point lighting. Just to echo what mickydoo said:

View attachment 1343933

Three point lighting is more or less made up of a key, fill, and back light. The key will usually point down on your character from (typical) 45 degree angle, and should be quite bright. The fill is the same (just duplicate the key light and dim it down), just from the right side and a good bit dimmer, to the point a viewer shouldn't know it's there, but enough to soften the hardness created by the key. The back light should be the brightest with a lowered spread angle to create something of a rim along the hair/arms/shoulders, depending on your angle and the look you're going for. Like so:

View attachment 1343960

The depth of field is nice, as well. Just turn down the spotlight and bring it to the left and you have yourself a pretty good render.
Very precise ! thank you so much for your time !
So i've made a new one with your help
I don't know what to think :unsure:

So i've mooved the light to the left, setted the lumen by 2/3
Changed the HDRI (dont know if that was a good idea actually) and changed his rotation to the right/back side (like in your illustation)
Putted a back light
And puched the HDRI intensity times x2

Last edited:
Reactions: Baka_Energy_studios

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Sorry, nothing to improve here. Seriously.

If you're a developer, go hone your coding/writing skills because your 3d is already better than most.

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Sorry, nothing to improve here. Seriously.

If you're a developer, go hone your coding/writing skills because your 3d is already better than most.
Haha thank you really, but idk im not confident with my work, i really think than i can improve :)

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Haha thank you really, but idk im not confident with my work, i really think than i can improve :)
best thing to do is keep learning and don't try to do other people's lighting setups and do your own lighting setup that you will like and keep on doing that setup and improve on it little by little

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
Looks damn good to me. I've seen much worse in games that people are throwing money at on patreon.

My only personal problem with it is the lights, directly in front and they're a bit harsh. But that's been beaten to death already in this thread so yeah.

I need to admit that I don't do renders, my business is about real photography and video so that's what I'm basing my opinion on, as if it were a real person. Doesn't change the fact that I think it looks great otherwise.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
If you see yourself as a "full stack game developer", you have reached the level where you should focus on other areas, this level is far more than what's needed for a your first game. If you're an artist only, I guess there's always room for improvement.

ReigningSun

Nov 14, 2020
I agree with the others in this thread. The render definitely looks good enough to not stress yourself out about your lighting skills anymore. Focus on the coding and writing and start making that game!

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Alright thank you anyway guys :)
I'm working on it ! im approx at 1/3 of the game, i would like to have ..1hour of playability first my first release
Hopping than peoples will enjoy it !