Hey! Any tips for a new programming team?

IsnetoGames

Apr 2, 2020
Hey! This is KinetoGames and we are a team of 3 members, a programmer, a writer and an artist. We are currently making our first project and we were wondering if any of the people with
experience in the industry would give us a few tips about what things to focus on in development and after we finish the development cycle and get ready for release. Anyways thanks for reading and have a great day!

Reactions: tomcire

OscarSix

Modder
Donor
Jul 27, 2019
Hey! This is KinetoGames and we are a team of 3 members, a programmer, a writer and an artist. We are currently making our first project and we were wondering if any of the people with
experience in the industry would give us a few tips about what things to focus on in development and after we finish the development cycle and get ready for release. Anyways thanks for reading and have a great day!
Make sure you have a process for everyone to work on the project effectively and keep the team updated.
Regular development updates on your patreon will go a long way to develop your following
Make sure you/everyone is having fun because as with any new project it is always hard to start. And especially hard if you don't see the growth you were hoping for.

Reactions: IsnetoGames

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Everything is harder, and takes longer, than you expect. Especially if it's the first time.

Don't be afraid to make your first game more modest in scope, and finish it. It'll teach you the skills you need, let you experience how it is to work together, and let your players know that you will stick to the actual ending of the game.

IsnetoGames

Apr 2, 2020
Alright man thank you guys for being this supporting ! Btw i saw that their are links under you're message like patreon game and itch.io how can i do that? Oh and are you the developer of love of magic? Its an amazing game and one of the games that made us go into making erotic games!

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks, and glad you liked it :)

If you click on your profile name in the top right, and select signature.
1585916715726.png
You can then insert images, links etc that show up each time you post:
1585916703932.png

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Well I would recommend that the first thing you do is to create a "game design document" and take many choices regarding the development.

Fundamental points:

-Game overview: Who is the MC? what is he doing? relationships with other characters?

-Fetishes and mechanics: Overall think about what fetishes will you have on the game and how important will it be, it isn't the same having an ocassional scene about a fetish than being a main fetish in the game, overall if the fetish is important enough it will require mechanics related to it.

-Characters: Main characters in the game, it is better to be a complete list, at the very least with the starting characters that you interact with, overall it's important to write their personality and how they act and their relationship towards the MC or other characters is.

-Lore: Basically world development, if there is magic then you have to write about it, monsters, gods or anything else, anything that goes outside our worldview should be written and introduced slowly during the game.

-Quests and interactions: Basically how do you interact with other characters and what happens in the world.

At the start it's important to choose exactly what is the game you are trying to make, what do you want to accomplish?, overall it's important that you enjoy what you do and that you have fun.

Aug 30, 2019
Before you even start making your first release, you should have most, if not all of your game planned out. A lot of devs wing it, and while some get lucky, most hit a wall where they run out of ideas. This leads to stagnation or desperate attempts at putting out content, lowering the quality of releases. Worst case, you abandon your project. If you know what the end goal is, you have something to work towards. You won't get stuck for ideas because you have them all planned out. Your story will also be consistent since you're less likely to change something if you plan ahead. Even if you do want to change something, having the rest of your story laid out means you can ensure that the change fits the story and allows you to make amends if needed.

IsnetoGames

Apr 2, 2020
Yes we have most of the game planned out, and we are gonna release it bit by bit, like when we finish the first route (the game isn't that big so may take 1-2 weeks) we will release it and see how people react to it and if we should continue what we are doing or do edits to our style.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Working as a team can get pretty complicated, as there's many moving parts. Below I have express my opinion as to how I would handle team projects. It might be long so I'm flagging them as spoilers as not to create a wall of text.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is very much bare bones compare to an enterprise level of management, but it should give you a sense of direction. The most important part is communication.

IsnetoGames

Apr 2, 2020
Wow man thank you for the awesome tips. Didnt expect this my love and support from the community thank you and we hope some day you will check our game out!