• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

Hey I just first timer using renpy with Honey Select.

Duraliom

Sep 20, 2018
Hello and Good day to you all,

It's my first time developing a game and I don't know where to start really. I've been playing around with Honey Select for a little bit but there is a question I have in mind.
- How do you put the characters in Ren'py with Honey Select? Do I have to do a screenshot or something to render it in?

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
Not really sure about Honey Select as I only use Daz Studio
But yeah, Ren'py need coding if you want to put some characters in there, you have to put images or renders in it

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hello and Good day to you all,

It's my first time developing a game and I don't know where to start really. I've been playing around with Honey Select for a little bit but there is a question I have in mind.
- How do you put the characters in Ren'py with Honey Select? Do I have to do a screenshot or something to render it in?
RTFM

• Angry
Reactions: Axeleen
Jun 29, 2018
Never used Honey Select but I'm guessing it's like Daz Studio. You use that to generate images, usually .jpg or .png, that you then display in RenPy. In RenPy you write code which calls images in to be displayed on the screen during the game. Honey Select (or Daz Studio) never directly interact.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Duraliom

Sep 20, 2018
Never used Honey Select but I'm guessing it's like Daz Studio. You use that to generate images, usually .jpg or .png, that you then display in RenPy. In RenPy you write code which calls images in to be displayed on the screen during the game. Honey Select (or Daz Studio) never directly interact.

So it's like taking pics from the software and just taking it as a picture?

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
Talking about Daz Studio, it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it
Just setup the 3D models and scenes and a little lightning and then press a button and it renders (creates) an image
Then in Ren'py you just have to show them like
Code:
label intro:
     scene intro_1
Here, "intro_1" is the render (image)

Jun 29, 2018
Basically it is. It's a way to create images that you can use to tell your story. I've heard some people describe it as a way for people who don't have artistic talent to be able to create images and I have some problems with that.

Yes, you can create nice looking images without having "artistic talent" but using "artistic talent" lets you create great looking images.

Example image (not mine):

Fantasy_Barbarian_Warrior_.jpg

I'm also using "artistic talent" in quotes as I think it's a bullshit phrase used to explain away the hundreds or maybe thousands of hours artists practice at what they do. it just doesn't happen automatically. :)

U

User_920791

If you are using StudioNEO, install the plugin and use Ctrl + Alt + S to generate 1080p images (with a partial anti-aliasing) that will be saved in "UserData\studioneo\scene".

With Studio, use some software like Fraps to take screenshots.

In both cases, you have the option to separate characters and backgrounds (which will require some skill in editing images) or include everything in a single image.

Other than that, just follow the Ren'Py documentation.