Hi guys, I'm thinking of making a html game, but I need help.

HollowWorld

Jan 4, 2019
Hi I'm brand new to development of games, but I have a real good idea for a html game. In fact this is the first game I make.

So my questions are:

What laptop is the best to buy for developing a html game?

What engine should I use to develop my game? (I have heard of Twine, but do I need anything else?)

Are there any videos or threads out on the internet showing me where to start and how to develop a html game?

Thank you, for taking your time to help me I really do appreciate it.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Hi.
Everything depend on what type of game you want to build, for a twine game you don't need much as hardware, just the minimum to run a browser... if you instead want to use heavier framework/engines, well, it is another matter.
Explain what typology of game you want to make, because you may even need deep understanding of the involved technologies and being a skilled programmer too.

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
What is your comfort level with HTML? Programming in general?
I have used Twine some for planning out story ideas. Unless you are wanting to host it on a website, while it was easier out of the box compared to something like Ren'Py; Ren'Py has a much larger community that can help you and it can do about as much out of the box as Twine without deep programming knowledge.

As for laptop, you are really going to need to build it around you rendering/artwork tools. Unless you are using Unity or Unreal, most of the other tools really just need a text editor or browser.

HollowWorld

Jan 4, 2019
Hi.
Everything depend on what type of game you want to build, for a twine game you don't need much as hardware, just the minimum to run a browser... if you instead want to use heavier framework/engines, well, it is another matter.
Explain what typology of game you want to make, because you may even need deep understanding of the involved technologies and being a skilled programmer too.
Ever played "A Spell For ALL" or "Enchanted"? I wanna make similiar games like them, but my own story, characters, pictures and my own map.

HollowWorld

Jan 4, 2019
What is your comfort level with HTML? Programming in general?
I have used Twine some for planning out story ideas. Unless you are wanting to host it on a website, while it was easier out of the box compared to something like Ren'Py; Ren'Py has a much larger community that can help you and it can do about as much out of the box as Twine without deep programming knowledge.

As for laptop, you are really going to need to build it around you rendering/artwork tools. Unless you are using Unity or Unreal, most of the other tools really just need a text editor or browser.
I have no programming background. I wanna do this for a hobby. I think making a html game will help me really with becoming a good programmer.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Then twine is the way, you don't need any fancy new laptop to make games with that engine, but still, you need some other skill if you want to customize more the visuals (you should now the barely minimum of css and html), but you can learn it gradually, luckily twine does the most for you.
Go here:
Study the documentation and follow the instruction, you can already do without problem some easy scenes. It is very easy to use if you don't add logic to your game, it will be a bit more tricky making a more complex game like the two you quoted, but with some investment of time you can do it.
I suggest you to do something linear to understand the workflow, don't try to set variable at first, if you have no coding knowledge you will become crazy in few hours. After a while start to explore the other functionalities and google for other tutorials, but just after you feel a bit confident about what you are doing.
It's a lot I don't use twine, I used just a bit few years ago, I can't help you much more than that, but it is full of examples you may find online googling after you read the documentation and the cookbook.
There are different "format" that the engine can use, Sugarcube is maybe the one you want.

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
I agree, you will know when you outgrow a tool. Not program specific but make sure you keep the scope of your game in check as well. It is easy to think big when you see those games and all the parts. The best way to build your programming skills to isolate all the parts and add to it. So just a story that has an end then add more branches and systems to it, it will save you a lot of headaches. I have so many half finished projects because I worked myself into a corner from scope creep.

Rudzi

May 3, 2018
When it comes to Twine just please use Sugarcube, games are way better with it. Much friendlier than others Twine languages.

Reactions: rKnight

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
HTML is not a programming language and wont teach you anything, at all, about programming.
IF you want an easier to learn language , want to learn to program.. and it not be a chore. Id suggest renpy. It can be ported to the web.