Hide Dialog Box

Xalthran

Aug 26, 2019
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time in reading as well as posting your responses on my inquiry.

I have played countless visual novels amongst other genre H based games over the years. One thing I periodically come across is the inability to hide the text dialog box during cut scenes -- seemingly more often than so.

So, while I am completely inept when it comes to programming, I am hoping that one can somewhat easily program code a quick menu button (typically alongside back, skip, auto, menu) to be able to hide the dialog box at will.

Regardless the difficulty, how would one go about adding this feature to a preexisting game?

Note: I do no not have access to a working desktop currently, so guidance on going about this via Android would be appreciated -- if possible that is.

Thank you again for your time and responses to this inquiry.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So, while I am completely inept when it comes to programming, I am hoping that one can somewhat easily program code a quick menu button (typically alongside back, skip, auto, menu) to be able to hide the dialog box at will.
Penfold Mole could be an addition to your textbox mod.
A basic renpy.hide_screen( "say" ) and a show equivalent it should be enough. More would be risked since it would hide dialogs.
Plus a forced window auto for the few games that still don't use it. If it's not already in the mod; I don't remember right now.

This being said, it should mostly works like the H key. Just a bit extended since the player should be able to advance to the next interaction without the textbox showing when there's no dialog in between.