Recommending HKennereth's Game Ratings Database. More than 300 games rated!

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Hello everyone. I thought I post about this here since I've been compiling this list for a while now.

This is my categorized list of more than 300 Visual Novels.

www.notion.so_hke_Visual-Novels-76295a4c02164631ad0362c485a7fcca.jpg

WHAT IS THIS
I wanted to share with you my master list of games I have played. I use this to keep track of all games I have played recently, and to share with friends some recommendations. The list is actively maintained and constantly updated, including with new ratings to reflect changes in the games as I play new releases.

This list includes my personal ratings for a number of quality metrics like story, characters, general polish, and more. I also have tags for the general mood of the game (so you know if you're gonna see some comedy or drama), gameplay style (visual novel, kinect novel, sandbox, or something in between), development status (complete, in development, etc). More importantly, although it is a separate website I have direct links to every single game's thread here on F95.

This list is maintained as a Notion.so database, so there are no ads, no malware, no popups, no login required. I do have a small link at the bottom that I use to track general traffic using Google Analytics, but that's all.

FEATURES
1650465716331.png
Multiple view modes: see the list of games in four different modes. Gallery view lets you visually find your game using the official art, as well as quickly check the most important tags. Table view shows a text-only data table which can be used to see more games at the same time. Last Added and Last Modified modes show lists of the games respectively added and modified in the past 30 days.

1650465943364.png
Filter, Sort, and Search: hover the top right corner of the database list to see the Filter, Sort, and Search buttons. These can be used to find one or more games that fit your needs. Search can be used to find any text in the entire game entry, including game title, developer, and the description. Sort is used already to display games in their current order (completed games first, then in development, etc. Then order games by their overall grade, and finally within each grade show games alphabetically), but you can change that to any order you want. Filter can be used to limit the display of only games that fit a specific criteria, like only games in development with graphics rated 4 or better, or only show games with a Joyful or Whimsical mood.

WHAT THIS IS NOT
On many games, but not all, I include some paragraphs about noteworthy aspects of that title. However I do not intend to write full on reviews about these games, so even if I may talk about a positive or negative aspect of a game this may not be reflected on the ratings because those are where I take into consideration my full experience with each game, not just what I took note of.

This is also not meant to be a complete database of all games in the world or on F95; it is very much a list of titles I personally have an interest on. Sorry if there are no games featuring some of your favorite fetishes, I probably just don't share the interest. That said, I do push my boundaries on occasion so I might note on some games that they feature content that I might not be into, but for some reason I decided to try the game anyway.

WHAT IS MISSING
While I have been adding stuff to this list for quite a few months now, and I have made a point of adding some older, extraordinary games that I felt needed to be on the list, there might be a great number of other games that have been completed and are missing from the list. If you want to see where I would rank some older game, feel free to let me know on this thread, and I'll try to add them if I have played them before, or play them if I haven't. As a matter of rule I add games whenever I play a new release, so if I have played a game before but they haven't posted an update since I started making this list, they might also be missing.

---------------------

I hope this can be helpful to anyone else here. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Guntag

Donor
May 3, 2017
Great list ! I really appreciate the "Choices and consequences" filter since it's not easy to tell from descriptions/comments/reviews of the games !

• Red Heart
Reactions: hkennereth

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Great list ! I really appreciate the "Choices and consequences" filter since it's not easy to tell from descriptions/comments/reviews of the games !
Thanks, appreciate it!

I definitely thought that was very important to point out. There are many games that are technically visual novels with branching choices, but the choices are completely inconsequential. Stuff that boils down to "do you want to watch this sex scene or not", or "make the right choice, or game over" are not much of a choice in my opinion. This rating is meant to reflect my opinions on how well the game shows consequences for your actions.

Reactions: DD3DD and Guntag

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
20 more games added to the list since the post was created, including a number of realtime 3D games.

Check them out!

1654830432426.png

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Another month, another 18 games added to the list. This month a lot of fresh new releases were included, including a couple that might still be too fresh for proper grading, but still it's good to keep track of their development.

1657505815295.png

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
It's been a little while, but I thought I'd post another update. The database now includes more than 300 games, with 71 games included since the last post, although not all of them are rated just yet. Some are older games from developers previously included to get a better idea of their history and are likely going to remain unrated, while some are newly added games that I'm keeping track for my own play queue. These are games I have downloaded and are just waiting for a chance to play them; you can find them as they don't have any status set, or by using the My Play Queue view if you're curious -- in contrast, older unrated games have a "Complete" status without any ratings. This new view also shows any recently updated games that I haven't checked out yet.

This is just one new feature of the database. There is another new view called Gallery by Grade, which prioritizes the grade so you can see all the best games whether they are completed or not. There is also a new field for Engine, making it easier to see which games might run on your machine or not (Unreal Engine games tend not be published for MacOS, for instance).

But one of the greatest new features is a new linked database for Developers. You can find that at the bottom of the page, but more importantly you can now click on the name of the developer on the details page for any game to see a separate entry for that developer, including a gallery of all their games in this database, and all their social information. This is a great way to quickly navigate between different games from a single developer, and one that I personally use a lot :)

As usual I would love to hear what you guys think of the database, and any recommendations for how it can be improved, both on games that you want to see included, and features that might be missing.

Cheers!

Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg

Last edited: