• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py How can I access the dialog text code?

J0K3RXXX

Dec 7, 2018
Hi everyone.

Some time ago I volunteered as a proofreader to a dev for a renpy game, but since I'm not much of a computer expert and the game was quite short at the time (although it had several paths), I managed by playing the game and looking at the misprints.

After a while, I had RL problems and I didn't have free time for it. However, at this moment I don't have them anymore and I would like to resume my work as a proofreader, but said game now has much more content and quite a few more routes, and doing it the way I used to do it would no longer be useful. What I am looking for is how to enter the game code to access the texts and dialogs of the game without having to play the game to find the misprints.

If any member of the forum can detail the way in which I can do it, what I do in a detailed and exhaustive way, then I repeat that I am not an expert in computer programs

Greetings.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Download this. Put it into the game directory (either where the .exe file is or within the actual "game" folder.) > Double-click it > and hit 1 or 2 (forget which one. Probably easier to just do both. Hit 1, press enter, press 1 again - enter, then press 2 - enter. UnRen should tell you everything, pretty much. Just pay attention.) > Open up Atom/Code Editor > and look through the files until you find the script/dialogue file(s). For example:

Here's a video of how I've done it. Not the highest quality, but enough to get the idea across. Let me know when you've watched/downloaded it, so I can delete it (as there's some not so nice language in the example script that I'd rather YT not see lol.)

Reactions: J0K3RXXX

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks a lot, MissFortune.
If you are doing the proofreading in cooperation with the developer, it's much easier to get them to send you an archive of the game scripts before they are RPA encoded.

If the project is one that prioritises quality releases, the developer works with their proofreaders/testers as part of their process and provides pre-releases to the team ahead of time, which allows the helpers to provide feedback, so the end result at "official" release time is better.

If development is still going on while the proofreader is working, the developer can end up with two diverged script files, but they can always be recombined with a diff-editor like WinMerge.

Another way to handle it is dividing up the "target" script into sections so the proofreaders are working on scenes that are nearly complete, and the developer can be working on newer scenes in parallel.

If everyone on the project is experienced enough (or willing to learn) the ultimate way is to use a Github (or gitlab/etc) account and do a branch/edit/commit/pullrequest workflow. I'm lucky enough to have one developer who is in this category. (Hi Marvellous Lunatic *waves*)

Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy contributing to your favourite games as much as I do!