How can I solve the problem with the too large size of the vn?

Greenish

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2021
Unexpectedly for myself, I faced a problem.
A very early version of the game is almost ready, but it weighs 4 gigabytes, provided that it does not even have 1000 renders or large animations.
The question is how do I reduce the size of the game before its subsequent archiving. (Can I even do it?)
I think there must be a way.
And perhaps this way is so obvious that I can't see him straight.

Image sizes of renders 1920 x 1080
Animations in OGV format.

p.s.
Maybe this question dumb as shit, but sometimes even with simple things you need help.

Last edited:

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
The best way is to reduce the size of your images, that is why it's 4 GB. A lot of devs convert them to wepb, you don't have to do this, but compression would be needed. the game Lucky mark used .pngs at at completion it was 14 GB. If you don't compress yours it will prob be more than that.

Here is a link to Xnconvert, it's not hard to use, and is pretty fast to compress images.

Reactions: Greenish

Greenish

Game Developer
Mar 4, 2021
The best way is to reduce the size of your images, that is why it's 4 GB. A lot of devs convert them to wepb, you don't have to do this, but compression would be needed. the game Lucky mark used .pngs at at completion it was 14 GB. If you don't compress yours it will prob be more than that.

Here is a link to Xnconvert, it's not hard to use, and is pretty fast to compress images.
Thank you so much.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
As already mentioned, most VNs get bloated in size because of the images. Either use space-effiecient formats (JPEGs or WEBPs) or reduce the resolution.

For example, a have this 4K render in my PC:
37MB PNG (3840x2160) -> 1.68MB JPEG (3840x2160) That's a massive file reduction.
37MB PNG (3840x2160) -> 345KB JPEG (1280x720) No more visible noise and extremely small file size.

Reactions: Greenish