Request Tutorial RPGM How can I use cheat engine on RPGMaker MV/MZ games?

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I'm well aware of easier ways to cheat these kinds of games using save editors or the cheat menu plugin but I'm wondering how to do it in cheat engine. The only thing I found in regards to instructions specifically for RPG Maker MV was this.

Instructions Found on Cheat Engine Forums
Source:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I tried testing method two as method one seemed incredibly unlikely though I didn't have much success. Bear in mind I tested this on a different game that uses the same engine I think called Plop Fantasy Girls by JitsuKoan. Here's a link to the game. I tried it both on the browser version and executable version. I'll probably try method 2 on Nightmare School next. Honestly I'm not sure which is the right way to do method two. Were they referring to max different offsets per node setting or the maximum offset value? I tried both ways in any case and got no results.

Browser/EXE versions

A guide on cheating games using RPGMaker MV/MZ with cheat engine would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently at a loss.

40C72

Nov 8, 2021
I downloaded the game and gave it a quick lookover
First off: the value I dicked around with ("plops") was stored as a 4-byte integer, not a double. The value in memory is equal to n * 2 where n is whatever it shows on your UI. The address also did not change every time the value changed, contrary to the forum post you've mentioned

The biggest issue here is that the game uses nwjs (Node) which basically fucks over pointer scanning and manual pointer tracing because of how it manages memory. You can, however, still edit the assembly instructions responsible for changing the "plops" value

Takeaway is fuck JavaScript -- never should be used outside of web development (and even then, eh..)
Second takeaway is memory scanning/editing techniques are not very good for RPGMV/Z games. Fortunately it should be pretty easy to modify the game files on disk

Reactions: forbidden101v

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
the value I dicked around with ("plops") was stored as a 4-byte integer, not a double. The value in memory is equal to n * 2 where n is whatever it shows on your UI.
Just curious but how did you figure out it was stored as a 4 byte integer and the memory formula for finding the value? The memory formula I saw before was for RPGMaker VX and instead of it going n * 2 it's n * 2 + 1. In any case I was able to find the value much to my surprise but only on the executable not the browser. Maybe I'm grabbing the wrong process or the browser version handles things a bit differently. I'm just grabbing the tab process id.

Nabebebe

Feb 7, 2023
Just curious but how did you figure out it was stored as a 4 byte integer and the memory formula for finding the value? The memory formula I saw before was for RPGMaker VX and instead of it going n * 2 it's n * 2 + 1. In any case I was able to find the value much to my surprise but only on the executable not the browser. Maybe I'm grabbing the wrong process or the browser version handles things a bit differently. I'm just grabbing the tab process id.
Do you know a way to use speedhack on MV/MZ? I have the plugin that allows it but he gets very laggy depending on the game and on a lot of scenes

40C72

Nov 8, 2021
While I do agree that the best way to cheat in MV/MZ games (and any JavaScript/Python game in general) is to modify the game files themselves, that doesn't answer their question

Do you know a way to use speedhack on MV/MZ? I have the plugin that allows it but he gets very laggy depending on the game and on a lot of scenes
Yes, it is possible to use CE's speedhack on MV/MZ games. I just tested on one (Lost Chapter). You'll need to find the right process to attach to, though: for me it was the one consuming the second most amount of memory both times I tried it but it may be different for you

Open the game, open Task Manager (or a similar tool) and view all processes ("Details" in Task Manager), find the game's processes, take their associated PIDs and convert them to hex, then open CE and attach to the process with that hex PID in the processes tab

If you'd rather just try all of the processes until you find one that works skip the Task Manager part and click through each process in CE

Nabebebe

Feb 7, 2023
While I do agree that the best way to cheat in MV/MZ games (and any JavaScript/Python game in general) is to modify the game files themselves, that doesn't answer their question

Yes, it is possible to use CE's speedhack on MV/MZ games. I just tested on one (Lost Chapter). You'll need to find the right process to attach to, though: for me it was the one consuming the second most amount of memory both times I tried it but it may be different for you

Open the game, open Task Manager (or a similar tool) and view all processes ("Details" in Task Manager), find the game's processes, take their associated PIDs and convert them to hex, then open CE and attach to the process with that hex PID in the processes tab

If you'd rather just try all of the processes until you find one that works skip the Task Manager part and click through each process in CE
thanks but how do I convert PID to hex?