How 'dark' can a 'grimdark' game content is allowed inside a game ?

agriasoaks

Oct 11, 2019
Hello everyone,

Seeing so many people inside a thriving community that enjoy adult game just give me an exhillriating excitement in just a thought to make an adult game as a hobby just that I wanted to ask everyone how far 'dark' the darkness the violence can be included inside the 'grimdark' adult game that is toleratable by the site, the uploader site and the people in general so I would know if it is too 'far' or too dark and beyond the threshold of on what's allowed.

To me the concept of the darkness, the violence, the grimdarkness settings is just a bit of an 'ingredients' that is to be use to make it so contrast that the other sensation other then that would feel so 'exciting' so 'rewarding' the thrill the excitement , the adrenaline , the rush..

So I would be hoping that you all be so kind as to provide me an input toward the question so I would have a 'feel' on what's the 'acceptable' by general, the red line if I may to boldy call it as such.

yeah reason the ask is I am thinking of creating a grimdakrness adult game , yeah I am totally newbie so the game would suck probably.. but hey you never know till you tried bad thing would happen is that I just got booed off stage.. meh I had worse *shrugs*.

Apr 24, 2020
Who's red line are we talking about here? The players or the payment processors?
If it's just a hobby project then I would say you can go pretty far and still find a niche audience.

Reactions: agriasoaks

agriasoaks

Oct 11, 2019
Who's red line are we talking about here? The players or the payment processors?
If it's just a hobby project then I would say you can go pretty far and still find a niche audience.
Well, my main concern is first the site in which I can put up my game, then the uploader that allow me to upload and lastly the player.

Because I think I read or notice that github doesn't allow anything that had 'slavery' content in it thus link to that is removed or something.

Then my 2nd part is the site, which I can upload the link to the said game that allow to put a link to a game content that had grim dark that had the violence, adult content, rape and slavery so I can gain input gain , constructive critism mainly so I can share and invite people to enjoy my lovely beautiful grimdark world :D

then the 3rd the player crowd , would they accept it ? or make a quick run and smack the report button , LOL

For the payment processor, nah I don't think I will go that far it's too much hustle I have no idea how to make it work in the first place and again if it involved money then it start to get serious and not fun.. thus kill the joy of creating a game pure out of hobby and love to the genre and sharing it with the other people for fun sake nothing more.

Apr 24, 2020
It's difficult to tell where the lines are drawn without any specifics because of how much the depiction of what's going on matters.

Some actions might be considered bondage play among consenting partners. A rape scene could easily use many of the same visuals and just change the buildup to highlight the non consensual aspect of it all.
It's once you start showing struggle throughout the scenes themselves that you really start to push the boundaries as it can no longer be viewed as simply very elaborate rape plays.

Then there's also the question of how much the victims are humanized. You can get away with more when it's all just randomized NPC's whereas a well written humanized character will tug at the heartstrings if they experience even the slightest of suffering.

Dushniy

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2021
Whatever you are creating, there is always a niche that will enjoy it.
If you are worried about posting it due to negative feedback, well, this field is still 'new'. Maybe you are the next developer to make a breakthrough.
Slap a few warnings signs everywhere.
But I still don't understand how 'far' are you meaning to go. Guro? Loli? Guro loli? NTR guro loli? lol

Before you think about such things, you should make something first. Just one level. One day. Post it, see the reaction and you can go from there.
Or just make what you like and let the fans of your style find you in time.

agriasoaks

Oct 11, 2019
It's difficult to tell where the lines are drawn without any specifics because of how much the depiction of what's going on matters.

Some actions might be considered bondage play among consenting partners. A rape scene could easily use many of the same visuals and just change the buildup to highlight the non consensual aspect of it all.
It's once you start showing struggle throughout the scenes themselves that you really start to push the boundaries as it can no longer be viewed as simply very elaborate rape plays.

Then there's also the question of how much the victims are humanized. You can get away with more when it's all just randomized NPC's whereas a well written humanized character will tug at the heartstrings if they experience even the slightest of suffering.
Well, I was thinking like an example scenes in beserk where the enemy kingdom manage to break through the defenses and they start to round up the prisoners and civilians so thus the rp scene starts there and few possibilities of human sacrifices and so on and so forth to power up the enemy forces and get more demons for an example.

Now to make matter more gut wrenching is that your character have grown develop personal relationships with some of the inhabitants of that city so kind of open ended scene the battle will be tough and you probably win by the thin slim hair of victory if you fail however that nasty event is going to take an effect. You know the inn keeper, you know the baker, you know the potion maker. So mix with NTR and snuff, if you fail.

So the events depending on the results, if you win there will be no rape snuff scenes on the people that you have grown emotional attachment too, if you fail there will be a Netorare event followed by snuff.. there will be a possibility for you to attempt a rescue but it will be a thin chance that could lead you to get snuffed as well game over end. And you can only save one because hey it's grim dark !

But yeah it is just an example scenes that popping out in my head on how to do so sadly it is easier said then done.

For the advice on creating the scenes, that's a very good idea. I will apply it if I have the resources to do so.

Whatever you are creating, there is always a niche that will enjoy it.
If you are worried about posting it due to negative feedback, well, this field is still 'new'. Maybe you are the next developer to make a breakthrough.
Slap a few warnings signs everywhere.
But I still don't understand how 'far' are you meaning to go. Guro? Loli? Guro loli? NTR guro loli? lol

Before you think about such things, you should make something first. Just one level. One day. Post it, see the reaction and you can go from there.
Or just make what you like and let the fans of your style find you in time.
Thanks I hope so Just so new I am testing the water tipping my toe in the said water hope no godzilla going to gobble me in whole when I do so.

Totally going to slap warnings everything that is in there going to slap it in.

Netorare, Snuff, Gore probably.. depending in the resources that I have.. or done by detailed text followed by fade to black with scream then sound effect of either monstrous scream or just hatched falling.

Guro Loli, Umm.. I don't think I am brave enough to go that direction the 'loli part' basically it's a no go almost everywhere that I can think off.. anything that resembles 'underage' will just get smacked by ban hammer or something along the line of hitting rules etc and so on.

Hmm but what about an offscreen murder of say fetus or babies for the creation of potent healing spells or potent spell ? will such a thing hit a red warning light ?

Because there is a game called fear and hunger, they have fetus that the character can eat if they are hungry. So if that get a pass should I get a pass if I included such a thing ? or is this where I should avoid.. with a 10 meter pole on the subject never go near ? lol

in example scene should be such as this, the main character receive a quest to go find the missing baby that was stolen from the cribe only to find out that the witches have turned the said baby into part of the potion that she is stirring up in the cauldron.

Yeah I think I saw that event in a movie about a witch phew the horror of it i still shiver to think about it and they really did potray it..well off screen anyway but damn the horror thing but I remember is that the dread, the fear the horror that it instill on my spine as I watch on what seemingly not to scarry witch movie turn out that scene just scare the living daylights out of me.

Again so that it will keeping the grimdark theme that to give you the sense of dread of how far the humanity can descend into evil.

Also there is also lot of 'black magical arts' that are powerful but it needed the sacrifices of the young can I potray that in the game not directly but off screen.. or even explanation in the said powerful potion ? Can I put this into the game ? or should I stay away from it ? lol again in it for the grim dark and the horror effects that it have

grimdark as in no one is safe even infants against the horror and deadly things out there that inhabits the world. Plus to put that gut wrenching morale effect on the person so you know here that strong potent powerful potion come from or spell.

Yeah I want to ask but afraid to up till now hope people doesn't view this out of context as I am only intending to discuss on whether or not it is all right to do so to include in the game. If not then I will not argue and shy away from it and think of another method to get my point across.. just that it won't be as potent and powerful as such.

Another point I want to ask is about main character, I was thinking of making a null gender femboy character that is adult offcourse as the main character is nothing but a magical grown vat lab grown homunculus. To get bigger breasts or a complete sexual organs the mc needed to earn it. The character is offoourse is adult age but I am afraid with the looks of 'femboy' with null gender people might mistaken it as an underage female and eat a ban hammer.. lol

I am scared of many things.. fear is my hindrance to my creativity and hopefully this discussion will shed some lights to some and give me a good decent direction so I have to not to be afraid anymore and let my creativity juice flowing and hopefully create something good that we all can enjoy :D

Thanks to all that replied and your valuable input will be taken in and will be used by me to improve the future game that I will be creating hopefully in the near future.