Daz How did they do this "cartoon" rendering? Can it be done in Daz?

NoTraceOfLuck

Apr 20, 2018
I have been playing the game Cutely Suspicious and I really like how their renders look. They have a very "cartoon" like look. I am wondering if this type of thing was done in Daz or did they use some kind of alternative rendering software?

Can anyone figure out how they made these?

Some example images:
2.jpg

4.jpg

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Daz more likely. Take a bland skin and remove all maps exept diffuse & keep a specular/rouhness one for a gloss layer. Shut down any other layers (Top coat/Dual lobe etc). Maybe push pixel filter & Denoiser if it still has too much details.

zzzz.png

Could be even faster using old DazDefault shader or just using 3DL.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yep, looks like it could be done in daz. The main features I see are:
- Clean textures with not tons of noise (aka not too detailed, smooth clean skin and clothes textures, floor looks to be the exception)
- Soft lighting (this allows for the smooth transition from lit areas to unlit shadows, soft light can be generate by lights that are physically big, a sun with a wide dispersion angle), and from the looks of it, there is a key light (main light) a fill light (so the area to the right side of the backwards facing second image doesn't look like she's standing in a dark room. But this 'fill light' effect could also be the byproduct of global illumination, where the light from the source is bouncing of a wall behind the character to weakly illuminate her back side), and I can't tell if there is a rim light or if the shader is omitting the Fresnel effect, because the key light (tipicall more in front) looks to be perfectly perpendicular, allowing for the edge (from camera perspective) to look slightly highlighted. All of this could be emulated using a 3 point light set up.
-Soft and bright. I don't know if this is how it looks right out of daz, but it could be possible they are using post effects and image editing software to make the art look more toonish, more clean, by brightening it up, playing with the gamma and what not. Usually I can't get bright lighting to work that well unless I jump into blender and do weird things.

NoTraceOfLuck

Apr 20, 2018
Daz more likely. Take a bland skin and remove all maps exept diffuse & keep a specular/rouhness one for a gloss layer. Shut down any other layers (Top coat/Dual lobe etc). Maybe push pixel filter & Denoiser if it still has too much details.

View attachment 1754495

Could be even faster using old DazDefault shader or just using 3DL.
This looks really good, thank you, I am going to try and replicate this.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Daz more likely. Take a bland skin and remove all maps exept diffuse & keep a specular/rouhness one for a gloss layer. Shut down any other layers (Top coat/Dual lobe etc).
Another option specifically for the skins - there are a number of "Anime-like" characters available for Daz Studio. While you might not want the character morphs, you could take the skin and apply it to a corresponding figure from the same generation (e.g. Genesis 8 Female).

Makoshan25

Jun 16, 2021
I have been playing the game Cutely Suspicious and I really like how their renders look. They have a very "cartoon" like look. I am wondering if this type of thing was done in Daz or did they use some kind of alternative rendering software?

Can anyone figure out how they made these?

Some example images:
View attachment 1754430

View attachment 1754429

Reactions: Saki_Sliz