How do I move characters and cameras around in DAZ Studio or summon them to where I am on the grid/map?

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
I’m having no luck moving my characters and cameras around, they always spawn in the middle so I have to move them to where I want them in the scene and I just can’t move them. Is there a button to where I can move the characters and cameras wherever I want them to be? Or is there a summon tool/button to where I can characters and cameras to where I am on the grid/map? I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me, thanks.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
When you say "where I am," do you mean the location of the Default Camera? One way to get items close is to use the Parameters pane - you can see what the X/Y/Z are for the Default Camera, then click on the object you want to move and manually enter similar numbers.

That being said, if you're using the iRay renderer, you'd be well off to keep the items you're rendering close to the (0,0,0) point. Basically, move the background scenery rather than moving the figures. iRay has issues with rendering things that aren't close to (0,0,0) - you get odd artifacts. (Appears to be a rounding issue in iRay's math.)

Reactions: 79flavors

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Two things I use a lot

Select your character and select something in the scene and you can jump to it

It copies the camera locations, including perspective view. If you have a camera selected in the scene tab and viewing the scene through another one you can copy the current cam location to one selected in the scene tab. But you can also use it to move anything. In perspective view, select your character in the scene tab and run the script, it will jump right in front of you, you have to scroll out a bit because the are literally right on top of you and you wont see them, but it works.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
There is also this script, that will bring a camera (of your choice) to the viewport point of view:

As for npcs, there is this script that brings the character to a defined distance (4 meters/12ft in front of the viewport) while keeping them on the floor:

You can change the distance by editing the script file and changing :
Code:
var distance = 400; //bring 4 meters in front