How do people find out about new games ?

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
So, I was wondering, how do people, like uploaders, find smaller games, with devs that haven't come here themself ?

And while i'm at it, I wanted to strike up a discussion about Patreon pages and games there, mostly because I will soon be launching my own but that's not the subject.
I wonder what people think of a good Patreon page, and at around how much content people think it's fine to publish a first version of the game, because we all stopped at one point playing 0.1 of games since we knew it had little to no content most of the time, more like a showcase of the game than anything.

passerbyR34

just wanted to passing by, end up staying anyway
Donor
Oct 29, 2018
From my pov as a regular visitor of this site, i happen to seeing that a new game thread started by the dev's request itself as u said or someone whom posted a proposal on game request sf

About the good patreon page, for me it might be good enough if it displaying the dev's introduction, the game's quick summarize/overview/premise, ETA of the update release, and maybe some gimmicks like pin-up for the fans :D
(U might wanted to observe the pages of popular games here for further ideas)

And regarding the amount of content for the first release build, I think it'll be good enough even without sexual content at all as long u could convey the premise of ur game to the players, so basically an introduction about the protagonist, main characters, and the story/plot itself

I guess that's all for my personal opinions
Wish u a good luck for developing ur game :)

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
So, I was wondering, how do people, like uploaders, find smaller games, with devs that haven't come here themself ?
Like passerbyR34 said I think new game uploads often come from , and good luck with the game.

Oh and game content is trick as it really depends on the individual player, personally I'd again agree passerbyR34. You could look around the first few posts in thread from other games (and it's change log) to get a vague idea.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Lots to unpack here.

First question, subreddits, like r/lewdgames exist, and there are games on there that get leaked. However, not all of them do and the subforums for adult games have relatively small communities, aren't all that good for us as developers for advertising.

A good Patreon page is a page that is updated somewhat regularly with something about the game's progress, has some concept/game art to draw people in, and posts publicly often enough that new users don't feel left out.

A good first release is an introduction. You introduce us to new characters and some plot/world building. My first release for Seraphim is probably short by a lot of people's standards, but it's a complete release with a starting point, middle, and an end that leaves people waiting for more. You are introduced to Eve and her personality quickly, as well as getting some of the other characters introduced, and giving the player their first taste of what to expect.

My first release with The Things we do for Love is a lot darker, however, it tells a prologue story about the time the MCs's father raped one of them and was killed by the other for it, giving us a huge window into who our main characters are and why, then flashes forward to the day they leave the house they lived in with him behind, and chronicles that first day. I admit to myself that this release is a little weaker. It's end point feels sudden, without weight.

With both however I was able to drum up a small audience who were willing and eager to wait for a next release. Seraphim is on it's third now. TTWDFL is halfway through its second. People want to keep playing both, I get at least one message a week asking for progress updates.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Mmm, I see, thanks for your opinions.
Well, as a player myself, I dislike games that feels lacking in content in their first version, it feels like the person is just saying that they exist, and you can come support the project even if there's nothing much to show just yet. But maybe that's just me after all.
But it gives me a pretty good idea of how much content I will do for sure before putting out a version of the game.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
@DarthSeduction Thank you for telling me about all of that.
I guess I see how it goes, a solid introduction is fine by alot of people standars.
But I guess I wont stop at an introduction since i'm doing a RPG, I still want to give a good taste of the RPG side for the first version, but that gives me some pretty good insight !

passerbyR34

Donor
Oct 29, 2018
Mmm, I see, thanks for your opinions.
Well, as a player myself, I dislike games that feels lacking in content in their first version, it feels like the person is just saying that they exist, and you can come support the project even if there's nothing much to show just yet. But maybe that's just me after all.
But it gives me a pretty good idea of how much content I will do for sure before putting out a version of the game.
Just make sure the next build didn't take too much time to released
I think the average devs here are releasing their updates monthly
That is one of the crucial factor for the players to decide whether the dev is trusted enough to be funded by them :)

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Just make sure the next build didn't take too much time to released
I think the average devs here are releasing their updates monthly
That is one of the crucial factor for the players to decide whether the dev is trusted enough to be funded by them :)
None of the games I'm following are monthly and committing to a monthly schedule is a dangerous thing for a dev to do. As the game goes on each release will be bigger and bigger, meaning it will take more and more time. Update as regularly as you can, but don't try to cut necessary content to meet a monthly deadline. Do as much as you need to for each release, keep your patrons informed on your progress, and release quality releases and you'll foster a good userbase.

The only one that might be is Harem Hotel, and Harem Hotel uses Honey Select, drastically reducing the time it takes to make the art. Even then, I'm pretty sure it's closer to two months. I feel like the last HH release was late october, the current one is supposed to be the 25th, but a beta got leaked.

Even the big guys with the money to hire people to lighten the workload, like ICSTOR, aren't releasing monthly.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Well, I wasn't planning to put deadline, and if I did, it would be to myself, more like to say to myself "hurry up your ass and continue your game, cat videos can wait", or things like that.
And yeah, updating people on your progress is the one of the most important aspect of keeping people hooked to the game, that's why i'm probably going to use Discord to talk with players, since I spend all my time there anyway. Still keeping more important news and progress on Patreon tho.
Well, that is that, I can't see myself too far in the future anyway, I still have a release to finish before even publishing my patreon page so.

Reactions: passerbyR34

passerbyR34

Donor
Oct 29, 2018
None of the games I'm following are monthly and committing to a monthly schedule is a dangerous thing for a dev to do. As the game goes on each release will be bigger and bigger, meaning it will take more and more time. Update as regularly as you can, but don't try to cut necessary content to meet a monthly deadline. Do as much as you need to for each release, keep your patrons informed on your progress, and release quality releases and you'll foster a good userbase.

The only one that might be is Harem Hotel, and Harem Hotel uses Honey Select, drastically reducing the time it takes to make the art. Even then, I'm pretty sure it's closer to two months. I feel like the last HH release was late october, the current one is supposed to be the 25th, but a beta got leaked.

Even the big guys with the money to hire people to lighten the workload, like ICSTOR, aren't releasing monthly.
Agreed, I didn't meant to pressing the OP to use a similar standard, basically just wanted to stating the 'average' time passed for next update to be released based on my experience waiting for their updates, not to mention daz3d is take much longer to rendered compared to honey select
So obviously I didn't mind to wait 1-2 months for update release as long it's 'worth the wait', in terms of quality and content as u said

Just make sure for not taking too much time without informing the fans especially the patrons as it's currently happening on some game an causing a bit uproar