VN Ren'Py How do Relationship 'Paths' work in a story-based VN in Ren'py?

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I'm sure this is a really basic question, but:
How do relationship paths work in Ren'py, in terms of efficient scripting for a story-based VN?

Lets just say the MC has 3 potential "relationships" they can pursue (or decline)-A, B, C.
So in the end the MC could be in relationships with A or B or C, or A&B, or A&C, or B&C, or A&B&C, or "none' (8 paths)

There will be a lot of story events that don't depend directly on the relationship status, but some that obviously do and change depending on the 'path'.

At the initial decision for each relationship, do you split off a completely separate but parallel script file to best keep track of that particular storyline?
So you would basically be updating 8 different script files as you went along?

Or do you keep one big script file, and at each specific juncture do an IF/THEN-JUMP each time to set a specific path each time, and then eventually jump back to the main story events as needed?

Or do you have one main storyline script file, and the game jumps back and forth between the specific Relationship scripts (A, or A&B etc) then back to the main storyline script?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'm sure this is a really basic question, but:
How do relationship paths work in Ren'py, in terms of efficient scripting for a story-based VN?
It seem that on the Dev tools & guides section of this forum, someone have wrote a how-to named "Write a dynamic Ren'Py game". I guess that it address this question and answer to it.

[...] do you split off a completely separate but parallel script file [...]
Or do you keep one big script file, [...]
Or do you have one main storyline script file, and the game jumps back and forth between the specific Relationship scripts [...]
This have absolutely no impact on the way the relation paths will works.

You choose to split the labels the way you want. Some only have one really big script.rpy file, others have one file by label. And there's all those who fall in between those two extremes.

Reactions: FranceToast