How do they find 3D models?

Fernat

Mar 11, 2018
Good evening.

Simple question, my dear friends. How do developers find 3D models like in Man of the House style games, The Tyrant, Corruption, The Way, Awakening, etc.? "Realistic" models in 3D on Ren'Py games often.

Where do we find them to use them? It's not free ? There are free? They do them themselves where are prefabricated?

Thank you.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Renpy doesn't use 3D models, Renpy simply uses images. Those images have to be made in a 3rd party program.

Unity on the other hand, is a 3D game engine, that does use 3D models. "Man of the House" is made in Unity.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Good evening.

Simple question, my dear friends. How do developers find 3D models like in Man of the House style games, The Tyrant, Corruption, The Way, Awakening, etc.? "Realistic" models in 3D on Ren'Py games often.

Where do we find them to use them? It's not free ? There are free? They do them themselves where are prefabricated?

Thank you.
You can generate 3D Humanoids with DAZ3D, Makehuman, iClone, ...

You can model 3D models with Blender, 3DS Studio, Cinema4D, ...

You can purchase or download for free 3D models from Asset Stores (Unity, Unreal, ...), Turbosquid, ...

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Good evening.

Thank you.
I think you'll find that a large percentage of the games that present images of 3D characters generated their images using Daz Studio. ( ) The software is free, there is a base set of free assets, and then, well, there are a LOT of paid assets that are available from "other sources."

As @Winterfire mentioned, this is not the only way of approaching this, but it's reasonably easy to get started that way.

Games like "The Twist," or "House Party" which actually have 3D models embedded in them have to take a different programming approach. As I recall, "House Party" also ended up getting its models from Daz. The Twist appears to have built them somewhere else - possibly using MakeHuman with custom skins. Not sure.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I would be careful about the license: DAZ3D has a separate (paid) license for their models used in real time 3D.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I would be careful about the license: DAZ3D has a separate (paid) license for their models used in real time 3D.
Oh, quite. But the OP didn't ask about licensing, just where they were obtained from. :)

Licensing is something you always need to check. There are many sites that offer various free models that can work with many different applications, but the models may have restrictions on what you can actually do with them. Just because they aren't paid for doesn't mean you have carte blanche with them. (And even if you did pay for them, licensing terms still apply.)

For clarity, Daz is fine with you using the models sold through their store for just about anything as long as the output of the process is a 2D image. Commercial, non-commercial, done with Daz Studio, done with another program - pretty much OK across the board. Even if you're producing animations that look 3D, if the actual stuff that you distribute is 2D, you're pretty much compliant with their license terms.

As @Winterfire says, if you actually take one of their assets (even a modified version) and embed it into a program, then you need the Interactive license for the asset in question. (And it's an asset-by-asset deal, and many assets don't offer one.) So if the folks that did House Party did use Daz assets, then presumably they took care of that. Daz also has restrictions on 3D printing of things based on models distributed thru their store.

License terms for Daz-compatible models sold on other stores (Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.) may be vastly different, however.

Reactions: Winterfire

horsemanuk

Feb 21, 2018
Good evening.

Thank you.
As others have said there are programmes like Daz where you can make models and then transfer the screenshots/animated scenes into renpy.

There are also programmes like The Klub17 that has a range of customisable models as well as being able to download more all totally free.

If you are proficient at animation, daz and unity probably make the best looking models. If you havnt got the time to git good at animation The Klub17 is a reasonable compromise.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
If your PC can't handle DAZ, etc. You can always use Honey Select too. I think that's very light on your PC compared to DAZ etc.

vlad50

Oct 3, 2018
[QUOTE = "Fernat, post: 1633373, membre: 489607"] Bonsoir.

Question simple, mes chers amis. Comment les développeurs trouvent-ils des modèles 3D comme dans les jeux de style Man of the House, The Tyrant, Corruption, The Way, Awakening, etc.? Modèles "réalistes" en 3D sur des jeux Ren'Py souvent.

Où les trouvons-nous pour les utiliser? Ce n'est pas gratuit? Il y a gratuit? Ils les font eux-mêmes où sont préfabriqués?

Merci. [/ DEVIS]

Va voir ici:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017

Question simple, mes chers amis. Comment les développeurs trouvent-ils des modèles 3D comme dans les jeux de style Man of the House, The Tyrant, Corruption, The Way, Awakening, etc.? Modèles "réalistes" en 3D sur des jeux Ren'Py souvent.

Où les trouvons-nous pour les utiliser? Ce n'est pas gratuit? Il y a gratuit? Ils les font eux-mêmes où sont préfabriqués?

Merci. [/ DEVIS]

Va voir ici:
Vlad - Sorry I can't reply in French - my ability to read it is better than my ability to write it.

I can't speak for the other games you mention, but the renders in Man Of The House were done using Daz Studio. For the characters, the developer took base models available through the Daz store and elsewhere, and then modified them somewhat using "morph packs" so that they're not just "vanilla unmodified Daz models." So, it's quite possible to create what appear to be custom characters without having to use modeling software like Blender to physically edit the character meshes - instead, you can use the (many) dials and knobs that the morph packs provide to alter various aspects of the figure's shape until you have something you're happy with. (Not every game artist takes the time to do this - many games just drop in unaltered figures. It's largely up to where the artist wants to spend his/her time and energy.)

The Daz Studio software itself is free - Daz's business model is to make money off the content. They produce content of their own, plus there are a large number of artists who sell their own creations through Daz's store, as well as through Renderosity.com and Renderotica.com. Daz does publish a limited number of free assets - the base figures from their most recent generations of characters, and substantially more from some of the older generations. (They have a "freebies" page on their site where they post free models every few weeks.) Past that, there is a substantial black market in characters, props, sets, etc., that have been purchased and then shared. There is an "Asset Releases" forum here that links to many, and there are a number of external sites that provide more - gfx-hub.net that you linked to is one of them.

Hopefully that answers your questions. If not, feel free to ask more.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016

Merci. [/ DEVIS]

Va voir ici:
wouldnt recommend that website honestly.
as far as i know, they use ads and shit.

they are others website that doesnt care with this kind of shit and allow assets directly via direct download.
most popular one is a "hidden" one that i cant share because of some reasons it want to stay pretty "hidden". and another one that is named "3DLOAD" that allow you to get all the stuff without bullshit ads and stuff directly via Mega, google drive and else direct link.
of course, its important to legit buy all the assets you use in your game to avoid troubles. as pricy as it is, its mandatory to avoid troubles. ( oui, ça coute la peau du cul, je suis bien placer pour le savoir lol )

Reactions: nonomnismoriar