How do you feel about pixel art?

Jun 29, 2017
Maybe it has fallen out of favor a bit in recent years. I remember my earliest days on ULMF, and pixel was all the rage. But 3D tools have since become easier to learn, and perhaps us pervy consumers are just adjusting. Next comes VR adult games?

Reactions: Cigarettes

Cigarettes

Aug 12, 2019
Maybe it has fallen out of favor a bit in recent years. I remember my earliest days on ULMF, and pixel was all the rage. But 3D tools have since become easier to learn, and perhaps us pervy consumers are just adjusting. Next comes VR adult games?
I have read about something about trend curve theory (I don't know the english version), it basically says that anything will be circling, so if now 3D style is booming, and then come VR, it is eventually will be back to pixel or traditional art again. So on, and so on.

So rather than thinking this type of style is not really booming or trending, try to think that at certain time, it will be good and priceless again, kinda a hidden treasure, inside time capsule.

So I hope this way of thinking will make anyone who dive into the world of games developer have good spirit and keep trying to make the best in what they make.

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
Personally, I like pixel art because it generally has smoother animations as artists have been working in that medium for a while. I'm currently creating a game with a combination of pixel and line art.

Reactions: Cigarettes

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
Pixel art takes way longer since youhave to do every single frame, while 3d you create your character and drag its body around.

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
Well, I'm mostly into 2dcg. I usually really don't like 3d because it still has some weird uncanny look and feel to it. At least for me.

Pixel is.. alright. The problem is that it often becomes way too simplistic, and I don't like that. I like some proper visualization. That said, sometimes it is alright - you can look at LonaRPG if you like a dark setting and a mixture of both 2dcg and some pixel stuff as well.

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
Well, I'm mostly into 2dcg. I usually really don't like 3d because it still has some weird uncanny look and feel to it. At least for me.

Pixel is.. alright. The problem is that it often becomes way too simplistic, and I don't like that. I like some proper visualization. That said, sometimes it is alright - you can look at LonaRPG if you like a dark setting and a mixture of both 2dcg and some pixel stuff as well.
I'm working on something pixel art myself. Idk if it's going to go anywhere cuz it's lots of work and Idk any coding, but I get what you mean.
1607884241273.png

• Love
Reactions: Hezor and ymt22

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
I'm working on something pixel art myself. Idk if it's going to go anywhere cuz it's lots of work and Idk any coding, but I get what you mean.
Yeah exactly. But if done right, and coupled with 2dcg, then it's good. But, as I said, it can become a bit simplistic if it stands alone.

And yeah, I guess it is a bunch of work as well. But then again, so is almost everything that is done well.

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
That's high quality work tho.
Thank you. The coder that was going to put the stuff together ditched on me tho. I think I'll just finish the feet scene animation, share them here and leave the project on the void before it even began.