Daz How do you handle bigger project

patryk006

Jul 14, 2017
Any advice how to handle bigger projects ?

Each frame in separate daz file ? Or the whole scene set up in one environment in one file (each frame in timeline) ?

Separate files can be painful with loading, but with one file I need to fight with bugs like transition between frames (sometimes morph affects previous frames), or when I need a bit more light for one frame, then I need to remember turn it off with previous.

DelinquentProductions

Degenerate
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2020
Having each frame as an individual Daz scene is probably going to devolve into utter madness. Just the load times, like you mentioned, would be brutal. Let alone the fact that you don't get the benefit of image series renders.

So short answer is: learn to use the timeline

It has problems, it has bugs, but it's benefits outweigh the problems in our experience so far. For this issue though:

(sometimes morph affects previous frames)
That is probably not a bug. Under the Timeline pane there is a Types dropdown which will allow you to select the elements you want to enable the timeline for. A lot of the morphs on models count as Other or Hidden, especially under Posing/Pose Controls, and as such will be ignored by the timeline and applied across all frames. See here:
1603578196093.png

Enabling those should allow you to see the parameters within the Timeline pane and have correctly associated keyframes. Note the additional values under a figure(G8M in this instance): Hidden and Pose Controls
1603578290931.png

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
As DelinquentProductions said, you realy don't have any other choice but the timeline if you want to save time. it can glitch sometimes, but save often, and different files, so you will need disk space too.

The point imo, is to be able to go back to a scene if needed (when way past it in your development), still maybe you want to redo it/modify it, so yeah two options as he said, either use the timeline and fewer saves, or multiple saves.

Also you can save the poses for each scene if need be, it takes less space. But no matter how you look at it, if you are serious about developing a game with daz, you will need some disk space. I personaly sacrifice the disk space/time, because space is not a problem for me (if it was, I would go for the timeline), but the timeline is as good a solution. So you pick :)