• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others How do you keep your focus?

Daruko01

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
I'm currently working on my game's next update, but honestly, it's really REALLY hard for me to not drift off to youtube after working for 5min, waste time there, work 2-5min again, then waste time again. I've started meditating this week, but I know it's gonna take time for it to have an effect on my focus. Do you guys also have this issue? How do you deal with it?

Daruko01

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
Sounds like you are not interested on the game dev any more??
Oh no I assure you, I 100% am interested, and plan to invest years into my game, it's just something that I've been dealing with for decades, I've always been very much a scatterbrain. I've been reading up on people dealing with this online, and maybe I'll go do a health checkup to see if my hormones are out of balance or not.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
Could be you have HDD. Or is it only when working on games you drift of? If so, maybe deep down you just don't enjoy it. You can be super pumped about a game idea and passionate about it, but actually developing it is another beast entirely.

function2020

May 20, 2020
well, you are not the only one, me toooo.
My conclusion is, because it is not a easy job, your deep mind tried to avoid it. There are a lot of examples in our life, e.g. most people can not continue daily exercise, because human nature is lazy.
Therefore, no idea, just don't force yourself too much. Put it down for a while, until one day your enthusiasm comes back.
------
by the way, I have already continue my daily exercise for few months, my idea is, don't do more, just 20 push-up, plus 50 squat up, plus 20 dumbbell per day, that's all.
In this way (rare amount), my subconscious will no longer find excuses to avoid the exercise, and the total amount in a week is not so rare.

wWbcbc

Jun 21, 2020
The internet is basically the perfect antagonist against people's attention span. Constant news updates, funny/interesting videos and "social" interactions at your fingertips, extremely fast and easy. A lot of creative people used to lock themselves in cabins or hotels far away from everything they know, so I've been doing a 'diet' version of that; a set amount of time without internet on a shitty laptop with no games. Sometimes that's an hour a day, sometimes more. I think the most important thing (as already pointed out) is finding what works for you, setting specific and simple rules and times that you can follow.
Also, just taking a walk outside or some other physical activity helps a lot. If you wanna think something over during walks it's definitely a good idea to bring something for notes as well.

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
you should search for advice for studying, i could tell you but i'm not good enough with english
i know studying is different than working on a game, but the problem is the same, an probably you will find a lot of tips (for example setting a schedule with working and breaks and so on)
anyway, if you are feeling like that at the start of the development, i think this would turn only worse with time...

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
It's the same with an instrument, going to the gym or acquiring any new skill/achievement.

People want shit without putting in the work. A shitty side-effect of our oversaturation and the therefore resulting low attention span. The real secret is to get disciplined or entering a flow, while hoping it sticks around for several hours each day.

Some people (including myself) say, it helps to break down each goal into smaller tasks (MICRO LEVEL) and the ruthlessly execute them. Otherwise there is honestly no super secret to keeping your focus, but straight self-discipline and perseverance.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
What it sounds like is that you in the slow part of the production, where the effort doesn't match your actual skill level, or you are in the phase will you have to keep pausing to doublecheck how to do something/learning, or the more tedious parts (art generation). In general, it just doesn't sound like you are able to enter a flow state.

Now, I say flow state, like it something easy to achieve. it is not. I've started and stop projects for literal years until recently. I've only found a project that I can enter 'flow' because the project is designed with my skillset in mind. And I don't actually focus too much on my project. I only really work when something gets me interested again. and A good way to get re interested in a project is talking with others (I hired a writer, and every time the have new content, I get a bunch of freaking ideas and get excited and start working again). I spend some days focusing on real life, some days relaxing, some days excited to work on the project. so idk.

Queen Rat

Jul 5, 2021
Don't worry, this is a very common issue for authors as well!

The way I deal with it is to set aside short periods time (say half an hour) where I'm not allowed to do anything besides work on the project. I then write down anything distracting that pops into my head (what is the football score, I wonder who sings that song, did so-and-so update his blog today). Afterwards I deal with all the items on the list, and often I find that I'm not that interested anymore! Regardless, writing down distracting thoughts for later really seems to help focus my attention on what I'm busy with now.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I usually develop on weekends and it's become a bit of a routine. Brew coffee, boot computer, launch Visual studio.
I watch Youtube too while I program on a second monitor and I mostly do my gaming in the evening when I'm too tired to work.

What really keeps me focused is I always keep a notepad on my desk, where I write down ideas and bugs I find (just loose words are fine). If I ever need something to do I just lean over and check my notes. It's got me going for years (and several notepads).

Last edited:

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
I'm currently working on my game's next update, but honestly, it's really REALLY hard for me to not drift off to youtube after working for 5min, waste time there, work 2-5min again, then waste time again. I've started meditating this week, but I know it's gonna take time for it to have an effect on my focus. Do you guys also have this issue? How do you deal with it?
Honestly, I do have this problem, as well, but lately I have learned to manage it... somewhat. Instead of Youtube videos, seek out long chill or lofi music that will help you relax, and concentrate. And just have that on in the background while you work. Also, do not make your project just a part of your screen, make it your whole screen, that way you're not tempted to click on anything that may distract you.