How does everyone keep up with Renpy games and updated versions?

Zonal12

Oct 7, 2017
I have tens of gigs of Renpy games that I just can't delete outright, why? Save games are always saved inside the folder which makes deleting games by the dozen impossible or suicidal. You have to go inside every individual game and delete all but the save folder, doing this every time for every single game when it gets updated is such a pain. Anyone has a better way?

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
If you're on Windows, it a copy of your saves are saved in your Windows profile for every Ren'Py game.
Assuming Windows is on your C: drive -
C:\Users\[your Windows username]\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\[Game Save Folder Name]

So delete away. I do and never lose a save.

Fantabaldu

The Pirate King
Donor
Feb 19, 2019
If you're on Windows, it a copy of your saves are saved in your Windows profile for every Ren'Py game.

Thank you so much for your info !!!! you really help me a lot ...
Another question , but for the other game with a different engine , like for example Unity ? there are another backup saves in some windows fold .... Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your further advise

sdfgjhdfszbg

May 7, 2017
You don't really have to save your files in most engines. Its always good to make save files at the start of games (when the game actually starts).

For the games with engines similar to RPGM, KEEPING YOUR SAVE FILES IS A MUST!!

Reactions: bas

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
Mac Ren'py saves are similarly saved in ~/Library/Ren'py/[Game name folder]
The only time I have an issue is when an update breaks game saves, and that will happen regardless of anything else i do.

Zonal12

Oct 7, 2017

wow!! I did not know that!!! Thank you so much!! Much appreciated!!

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I put all the game folders into another folder, which is in another folder. Kind of looks like this

Games\Haley\Haley's Story

If i need space, i just take the save folder out of the game folder and put in it the "Haley" folder for example. So it would look like this Games\Haley . All organized nicely.

I go through and delete the some roaming stuff every once in a while, just to keep it somewhat organized. I keep the save folders just in case i delete the wrong thing. Some of the files are named weird.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Personally, I remove everything that isn't the save files, and 7zip the rest. Then you just need to do the opposite to restore the save and continue your play with the new update.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I usually just wait til there's a significant enough amount of new content that I feel like starting over and just delete the previous version (including all the saves), and start over. The exception would be games that include lots of grinding but I tend to avoid those mostly anyway unless there are mods or cheats that cut down on the grind.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I have tens of gigs of Renpy games that I just can't delete outright, why? Save games are always saved inside the folder which makes deleting games by the dozen impossible or suicidal. You have to go inside every individual game and delete all but the save folder, doing this every time for every single game when it gets updated is such a pain. Anyone has a better way?
Ren'py, at least with a Windows based system, places save files in a (typically) hidden folder (%appdata%) under the Users folder for your particular Windows login... So you can delete a Ren'py games main folder with all the game files and so on, but the save files will still be available for the next time you install the game again, or install a new version...

Will those save files be compatible with a new version? That is entirely up to what changes were made... In many cases, especially with earlier versions of a Ren'py game, I've seen some or all of the save files just cause errors with some updates... Again, it depends on the alterations made to the coding in the updated game, if older save files will work or cause the game to break down...

If you don't want to keep old save files, you'll need to go into that Appdata folder, under Roaming you'll find Ren'py, and in there will be folders for every Ren'py game you've ever made a save file for... Remove that particular game folder to get arid of the older save files...

Zip