How does one view the script of a game?

Sceyro

Sep 21, 2016
I wanted to see how a certain game is scripted and I'm oblivious how to do it. Does anyone have an idea of how access the code of a ren'py game?

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Unpack the Renpy file, and it should be any '.rpy' files in the game folder.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Doesn't seem to work because all I've got was this: View attachment 108777
Also be prepared for a wall of code. I see you are trying to unpack Summertime Saga. There are dozens, if not over a hundred, '.rpy' files in that game. Just figured I would give you a heads up since you couldn't figure out how to unpack an '.rpa' using Google.

Sceyro

Sep 21, 2016
Also be prepared for a wall of code. I see you are trying to unpack Summertime Saga. There are dozens, if not over a hundred, '.rpy' files in that game. Just figured I would give you a heads up since you couldn't figure out how to unpack an '.rpa' using Google.
It seems that neither do you know how to do it, or in the least, you're not that good explaining how to do it.

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
It seems that neither do you know how to do it, or in the least, you're not that good explaining how to do it.
For someone who opened the thread with "I'm oblivious how to do it", I'm not sure if that counts as a thank you to @carnalcardinal but you know they are developing there own game?

Step 1 - unpack everything - I use unren.bat which @jerricho13 linked in post #4
Step 2 - try downloading and installing
Step 3 - open the particular .rpy file you are interested in.
I like Notepad ++ (which was suggested to me by someone here) as it is a small open source program that lets you view code easily.
Note that .rpyc files and .rpa will show all the undecipherable codes in Notepad++ too, so if you insist on opening them instead of the .rpy files, don't expect any better results.
If you really are looking to dig through the .rpyc and .rpa files then sorry this is beyond my knowledge.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I can see that you got '.rpyc' files. You know have to get something called 'unrpyc' put in the file with the rest of the '.rpyc' files, that should make duplicates of the files into '.rpy', which you can now open. I would suggest opening them in the Ren'py game developer.

I was just trying to give you a heads up, that understanding this code is going to be really tough. Google and GitHub are your best friends for learning how to code. Which I know, because I have also unpacked games to see how something works.

And thanks @kiteares , but just cause I'm a Dev doesn't mean I deserve respect. :p

Reactions: kiteares

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
just cause I'm a Dev doesn't mean I deserve respect. :p
True, but it will give a hint that you know at least a little more than some. This was proven by your more extended explanation, showing me some of the relation between .rpyc and .rpy, so thanks, I've learnt a little more today.
I'm a crap coder, but a full time nosey git :D

Prokopije

Stupidity Exterminator
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
This is how I do. Do that unpack thing with renbat. Than unpacked game just move into "projects" folder of your Renpy program and when you open renpy - from there you can open script files.