How Important Is Frame Rate To You

May 3, 2018
For 2D animation, 12 frames per second is the norm, right?

Most of the major TV studios doing animation do 24 fps but animate on twos, so its effectively 12 fps. Worth keeping in mind that they normal mix and match as needed. So for most things it might be 12 fps, but that one dramatic action might be drawn on the full 24 fps.

If it were 3D, I'd say 12 fps might look choppy, but with 2D and the use of smears I think 12 fps can look really good.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
12 FPS, then run it through DAIN or Twixtor?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Honestly sometimes even 2/3 frames in loop is enough...

In short, it is an artistical choice, not a technical one.

(Don't use frame interpolation it destroys your art. I'd pick detailed low-fps over blurry high-fps anyday.)

May 3, 2018
12 FPS, then run it through DAIN or Twixtor?
Ew. No.

Frame interpolation is GARBAGE for hand drawn or hand created animation.

Higher framerate does not automatically equal better when it comes to animations.

Animations are not linear things, as I pointed out above. You don't WANT to just go from frame to frame to frame. It ignores core fundamentals of animation like ease in, timing, anticipation, etc. etc.

In short, it is an artistical choice, not a technical one.

(Don't use frame interpolation it destroys your art. I'd pick detailed low-fps over blurry high-fps anyday.)
Agreed. So very much agreed.

Reactions: woody554

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
technically it depends on the angular speed of the movements, ie. how fast things travel over the screen.

for me, I like if the style fits the animation rate. more fps isn't always better. especially when you mix still renders and animation it seems off if the animation is too smooth. I kinda like a low framerate in VNs.

low framerate can even be a deliberate style choice.