How long does a render take to complete on DAZ3D?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Unanswerable question. It can take 30 seconds or 3 hours depending on your scene. If what you really want to know is whether or not your card is a good enough for rendering and learning, then yes, a 2070 is a really decent place to start.

You can compare your card to others here with Octane benchmark.

Octane and Iray are different but you'll get an idea of how a 2070 compares to other cards.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
As Domiek already pointed out, this is a question without a real answer. Render times are based on multiple variables, such as: Resolution of the render, scene complexity (IE how many figures/how big the surrounding environment is), how well lit the scene is (if you are using Iray at least), using Iray vs 3Delight, your GPU/CPU and even more.

A 2070 is a really good card to start with, so you are already better off than many others. If you are rendering in Iray, then I would say that your 3 biggest factors would be: Lighting, scene complexity and your render resolution. Sadly there is not much else anyone here can do to give you an answer.
The best thing you can do, is simply going into Daz and start making some renders of a few scenes and see what results you get.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017
You can look up an estimate on general performance compared to other cards in this .

Basically people are rendering the same scene and posting their results. Other than that Rendering times will differ with the same card depending on the scene.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I have the same card with a first gen i7 (so hello year 2011) with 12gb ram, and it's anything from 20 seconds to 6 hours.

EDIT: aww, shit. it's not the same card, I have an RTX. so a lot of this might not apply at all. sorry.

I'll start with shooting down some claims I've often seen but have never found to be much help. some help, yes, but not really. like adding more lights to scene.

the biggest problem with daz are room interiors, the lighter the walls the worse it tends to render. I have a model with a light wood sauna connected to a shower room with dark stone, with a glass door between them. on the sauna side renders take 3 hours, on the shower side 15 minutes. there's nothing weird in the shaders, no translucency etc. the model is one piece of geometry. both wall textures are small, less than 2000x2000, and the rooms are very light on memory. removing glass door makes no difference.

1 vs 3 three characters makes a tiny difference, from 2½ hrs to 3hrs. flooding it with way too much light goes from 3hrs to 2hrs. opening the ceiling and fourth wall helps about a half an hour, but none of these stack. you can't get under 2hrs with these.

but if you switch the dark walls to sauna, or even just darken the main texture in daz, bang you're finishing in 15 minutes again.

dark scenes have lots of other problems like getting the skin look good, but they can be lightning fast. dark scenes are your friend, although inserting a spotlight in there can seriously ruin your performance.

another thing people often claim is the penalty for complexity. and yeah, of course nothing comes for free, but again I haven't found that to be hugely helpful. what works great though is rendering OUTSIDE. it's almost always lightning fast, no matter how much stuff you have in the scene. you can again ruin that with careless spotlights, but mostly everything is incredibly fast.

I'm currently rendering a scene with 5 non-instanced characters, tonns of maps on them. and clothes. and they're in a massive 200x200m forest filled impenetrable with hundreds of trees, with hundreds of leaves each with translucency. these are no lo-fi trees. and there are millions after millions of grass blades. a lot of the vegetation is instanced, but it's still incredibly heavy. just loading up the scene is killing my machine, takes 8 minutes to initialize a render. all of the memory gets filled and some of it overflows on the ssd. you can barely move anything in the scene because everything lags sometimes for minutes.

but it still renders in minutes after it gets there. about 5 minutes to 100%. because it's an open space and there are very few lights. open spaces are your friend, complexity isn't necessarily your enemy. this too renders much faster at night.

so, experience matters a lot through your design choices, and things are not nearly as logical as 'simple scenes with lot of lights render fast'. sometimes they do, often they don't.

what would I want more? memory, always memory. there can never be too much ram and vram. but other than that you'll just have to fight through the problems and find better ways of doing things through experience. but also sometimes that just takes much more time than slow rendering, so I don't know. shortcuts are rarely worth the overhead associated. beware optimization, it's rarely worth it.

Last edited: